ls or h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90htchbck

so $1,500 for ls or like around $2800 for a h22...how much difference in power will there be??? is it worth it go go H??? i basically want something with power and beat some cars, im not gonna be down at the track every week

It really depends what you wanna do with it. With the ls you've got that bad ass lil torqu'e non-vtec motor. for that chassis it wouldnt kill your handling for auto cross or drag/everyday driver/whatever. The h22 is big yeah, more power, no doubt about it, not to mention vtec. In a straight line it'd do awesome. Personally I'd take the ls you've got a killer building block. slap a b16 head on it and call it day.

stock - h22

boost - ls

n/a build - ehh its sorta a tossup, h22 will probly make more.

another factor, the h22's weight. goodbye cornering!

if anythin that extra 75 or so pounds will help keep those tires planted on the ground. i have a 96 hatch im throwing a obd1 h22 in and i had the same questions.

I'm running a z6 right now in my 91 hatch and it pulls pretty good, I'm building an ls for it because i want to autocross it. I'm telling you if you wanna keep the handling and have a decent motor. go ls its the only way to fly. unless you wanna dragstip the h22 will more than suffice.

the h22a does handle like crap but i love the h22a power and im glad thats what i went with in my hatch, the reason i was happy with it, it was a out of the box v8 killer just stock in a hatch it will beat the hell out of a gt mustang without even tring

Your handling will suffer regardless of wether you go with a b or h series. That is what aftermarket suspension is for. The h weighs roughly 40lbs more than a b total(engine and trans.). You can turbo an ls and handle better and beat stock h22 civics all day for cheaper. But when the h22 starts seeing even bolt-on mods, the cars will be even. Turbo an h22, and the ls is seeing tailights all day. The h22 swap is fine for dd when it comes to handling, but you will suffer going around a track. You also won't be able to keep a/c and p/s, so keep that in mind.

If you wanna get real spendy, get a k-series. You won't even need any FI and you'll be faster than a turbo ls, and almost even with an h22 with bolt-ons.

There are positives and negatives to any swap/build you do. It all depends on what you think is best.

Last edited:
you can still have power stereing and ac but it wil cost more money to buy the brackets

yo

h22 all day to hell with what these people talking bout (any 1 can come run my h22 in a 94 teg with a stock ls and and they gon tell u what happen)ls make 130 hp stock the h22 make 200 stock yaul be real get up on h seriez they make crazy power

by the way

u put a type r tranny on that h u good money (but if u dot money like that k is the way 2 go

Back