Ls Parts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

hey, I'm looking to pick up a 96 LS motor, w/out a tranny. Couple questions, since I haven't really put one of 'em together before

besides the transmission and axles, what other parts are missing? anything besides axles? etc?

and

I'm probably going to be going for a hondata setup, so obviously I'm going to want obd1. Should I just buy the p74 right off the bat? I'm almost positive things will work fine with the obd1 ecu, I'm just making sure.

Edit: will civic shift linkage work, or do I need to teg's???

Any info is appreciated! :hmm:

hey you monkeys I respond to like a million other posts but when I have a question nobody gives me the time of day :p some input here!

youll be missing the tranny (obviously), the axles, and the center shaft
what year is your car??
are you getting the wiring harness with the engine?
you need an integra linkage

you dont need to get an OBD-1 IM ... im running an OBD-2 engine in my 93 ... just rewire a few plugs and your good to go

yea, it's coming with the wiring harness, at least. It's only 300 bucks for the engine w/o tranny. I'm trying to figure out how I would finish it/if it's worth it. I was also considering just buying the OBD1 ECU right off the bat, so I don't have to switch it later for b00st.

buy the ecu, is the engie form a manual or automatic? if its automatic you'll have to buy a bunch(read like $100+) worth of bolts from the honda dealership if you want to convert to manual. you'll also need a flywheel, a clutch, pedal pressure plate, and the manual cams.

i know because that's what i'm doing now.

go ahead and buy the obd1 ecu now, it'll make finding one when you need it easier.(nothing like being one fricking ecu away from having a new motor)

you'll need teg linkage from a 94-01 teg, or a 98-00 civic si. make sure you get the distributor with the engine.

and really try to get the obd2 engine harness, and get a non-vtec obd1 harness, it'll make switching to obd1 MUCH easier.

hope this helps.

make sure to get it with the teg mounts, if it doesn't come with them make sure to get all the brackets.

i'm missing one of the brackets, and its been tough to lacate.

make sure to get the sensors (map, TPS, temp...). and i f you want power steering and AC get all that stuff too. make sure to replace the water pump, and possibly the oil pump too.

before you start tearing it down, or even before you purchase it get it compression and leakdown tested, and look for any little machininst marks (they look like dimes that have been welded onto the block), because that would tell you that the engine has been rebuilt before.

thats all i can think of now.

well, the engine is from a guy I trust pretty well. earlier I was going to pick up a wrecked teg with a spun rod bearing. So I think what I'm going to do is try to pick up the teg with the spun rod, replace the motor, and take all the other parts out of it. If I could work it out, it would be a fuckin sweet deal because the wrecked teg was only like 700, and the new motor is 300, so that nets me a total of 1,000 for a complete swap. not bad.

dude that's what i thought when i got a complete head from a 91 LS for $78, and a complete block from a 93 ls for $270.

i thought "sweet, whole motor for less than $400!!!!!"

that was like six months ago, now i have been tallying all the money i have spent on this motor swap and i'm getting close to 3 grand, but when its done it will be so ready for boost. (that includes geting ripped $525 for a tranny, and having to find a replacement)

but now i'm outta money and i'm praying to have this swap done before summer is over.

ps. my girlfriend currently wants to burn my car to the ground because i spend so much time working on it.

haha yea, thats why I want the wrecked car. That way I have ALL the little parts i'll need, or at least have a good idea what they are if they are broken.

Back