Ls Rods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cerx

I was wondering if i could put ls rods into a 1.5 block? I have had a bunch of people tell me yes and no and i dont know who to believe. What i was told it would do is stroke my engine out to like a 1.7 or something like that. i was just wondering what i could do to pull out some power to last me for a couple of months till i do my swap.

Thanks

The rods aren't going to fit the D series crank. B and D series parts are not interchangable.

Just changing your rods won't change the displacement of your engine.

i was told they would work with some machineing the'll take 400 whp

dont quote me on that ;]

i wish i remember who told me that

thanks
-joseph

YES THEY WILL FIT WE HAVE A 89 CIVIC D 16 WITH LS RODS AND SRP PISTONS AND A TURBO. WE SENT THE RODS TO TRIPLE J S AND THEY PUT BUSHINGS IN THEM FOR ABOUT 75.00 WE RUN IN A 1\4 AND RUN 8.30 ON 7 PSI. THE CAR RUNS 14PSI AND THE THE CAR JUST SPINS.THEY WILL HOLD ABOUT 350 HP.

actually i heard of people doing that a few years ago.... slappin b18a rods in a zc... i wish i could remember where i found it.

yes you can use LS pistons in a dseries block with machining it will work, and has been done many,many times. I have heard that the GX pistions will adapt to the LS pistons without machining and raise compression to a nice high in the right setup. Not trying to bash anyone here but get your facts right before you say it can't happen. If you want some dseries help from the professional of dseries check out this board:

http://pub143.ezboard.com/bhondadseries

search and ye shall find

Originally posted by monstermotorsports@Jan 23 2003, 05:26 AM
YES THEY WILL FIT WE HAVE A 89 CIVIC D 16 WITH LS RODS AND SRP PISTONS AND A TURBO. WE SENT THE RODS TO TRIPLE J S AND THEY PUT BUSHINGS IN THEM FOR ABOUT 75.00 WE RUN IN A 1\4 AND RUN 8.30 ON 7 PSI. THE CAR RUNS 14PSI AND THE THE CAR JUST SPINS.THEY WILL HOLD ABOUT 350 HP.

Right, and he certainly specified that he was using the bastard step child of the Integra line. I have no idea what is interchangeable from the 1st gen Integra and quite frankly I don't care.

actually the d series are not based on the "Bastard" step child of the integra line but based on earlier engine models used in pre87 honda automobiles and if you don't care about a subject and don't want to put in the time to do the research than stop posting misinformation and stick to subjects you know about so people won't pass on your misinformation to other people. i'm just trying to get the truth out cuz everybody just doesn't want to "do a b series swap" even though they are great motors the d series is capable of putting down good numbers without dropping a lot of cash, besides not everyone races the "straight line" so to speak, so those numbers everyone lives by in the 1/4 might not apply to everyone. just my .02

I didn't say the Integra D series was a bastard, d series. My issue is that he never specified that he was using LS rods that were produced for a mere 3 years as apposed to the LS rods that were prduced for 11 years. That engine is the bastard from the Integra Line. Not a bad engine (meaning there are worse) but not what anyone that hears LS thinks about.

i apologize i didn't read into your statement as i should have, again i jumped to conclusions before i should please accept my apology.

SO let me get this right, ls pistons will fit in the d series but i have to to machine work to the head? But im still not clear on the ls rods into the d block, cna or cna't it be done, if it can what are the benefits?

If you are talking 1st gen LS pistons and rods then I think so, but I am not sure. The 2nd and 3rd gen LS pistons and rods will not work.

SO if i can what would the benefits be? how sure are you that i can use them. your talking about b18a right?

YES IT WILL WORK:

Small End - I had found specs on the internet somewhere, and you can give that to the machine shop, but I bet you can give the machine shop the wrist pin and they can rebush the small end (they should have bushings there).

Big End - The on the big end diameter on the LS rod is the same as the D16 rod, and will fit the crank using d16 bearings, but the bearings aren't as wide as the ls bearings, so you have to shave the sides down.

Found Specs from Crower's site. Go here and compare the B18a/B18b rods and the d16 '88 and up rods. You'll see they are the same length and the same Big End bore size. The rest of the specs the machine shop can match up.
http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/rods.shtml

I just got back from the machine shop, the difference in big-end width is 0.035", so they are milling that much from the sides of the rod (1/2 of that from each side), pressing in some ARP rod bolts, reconditioning the rods, then off to Brian (Crower) for custom-made bushings, and press-fitting on my pistons.
The LS rods are good for 350-375hp , try that with a D16 rod...

This is all from Honda-Tech, it can be done and has been done so you can quit saying it can't be done, cuz it can and has been. And for a better combo you can use the LS or B16 rods with some Toyota 1G-GTE pistons , just a little machining and boost the ish out of em. And this has been done many times also so stop disagreeing with me and just do it!!!!! hahahahahaha

btw thats like 400 bucks for a kick ace setup

THanks alot for all the help. (btw) what kind of power can i expect from the rods and pistons. WIll it bump up the displacement or will it just allow me to turbo it without alot of work. ALso what kind of car is the gx. you mentioned something about piston. IM going to junkyards for all the parts.

the advantage to the LS rods is strength due to its larger width in comparison to the dseries rods(most sohcs). The pistons(toyota pistons) should yield in a Z6 engine(sohc vtec) 9.2:1(don't quote me on that but it will be low) and the toyota pistons will just be easier than modifying the LS rod for a d series piston, but the LS rod will have to be slightly modded to fit on the d series crank, but not a big deal, prob done for 45 dollars at a good machine shop. This won't increase displacement as the LS rods are the exact length as the d series rods. The GX engine i believe was a 99-00 release in the civic line and would raise compression in most dseries blocks with d series heads. If you want all motor strength just go with the d series rods/aftermarket rods and 88-89 Integra Pistons, turbo/nitrous/supercharger: LS rods/bseries rods aftermarket dseries pistons/toyota pistons.

Back