LS starter bolts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

Has anyone here taken off and/or changed their starter? I took a look at mine after my car stopped starting but started making this horrible grinding noise and it was missing the top bolt and the lower bolt had become loose enough that i could freely move the starter with my hands.

What i need to know is, are the two bolts the same and does anyone know were i could get one (or both is fine.) I need the upper bolt.

I've very curious about the size because the hole for the top bolt seems smaller and I'm really hoping that It's not because the bolt is broken off in there.

Thanks for any input.

Anybody have any idea's were i could find out what size bolts to get? I've been searching around online and cant find anything. Unless i just put it in with one bolt.

no don't do that. the top bolt is just a common bolt on your motor that is a 14mm head, the bottom though can't be found any where else since it is a lot longer you would have to go to the dealership to get that.

no don't do that. the top bolt is just a common bolt on your motor that is a 14mm head, the bottom though can't be found any where else since it is a lot longer you would have to go to the dealership to get that.

I have the bottom so I just need to find out what the top is.

ok the bottom one is important the top is easy. do you have any extra bolts laying around. if not heck I will mail you one.

It seemed like it was the same thread, i was just going to go pick one up at the hardware store. Do you know how long it needs to be?

you probably won't find that thread type at the hardware store I have tried. It just needs to be about 2" long bolt.

No luck. I found one that was really close. It threaded but was really tight and a fair bit harder to turn than the regular bolt. Don't know what to do now.

yeah it probably is the wrong bolt, take the other bolt out and make sure the threads match up

Seems like the new bolt has like, bigger thicker threads, if that makes any sense. I might have to wait and see if i can get a ride to the junk yard to try and find one.

I found a thread via Google that said they were M10x1.25x100 for the lower bolt. I imagine the upper bolt is also M10x1.25x???. Same thing just shorter.

yeah thats them. those bolts are on a few other parts if it takes a 14mm socket then it will be the same you just have to find one thats long enough

yeah thats them. those bolts are on a few other parts if it takes a 14mm socket then it will be the same you just have to find one thats long enough

You mean I might find a spare that i can take out without necessarily harming anything?

Oh, cool. I'll have to take a look and see what's down there. The engines actually in a slightly modified 90 Civic Hatch, so I'm not sure what i have left but I'll take a look at it. I know the previous owner took the AC out when they put the engine in.

I swear one day I'm gonna freak out and just sell the damn thing. Theres always something going wrong lol.

Thanks again.

Found a bolt at the auto store that went in. Idk if it's long enough to thread all the way to the end of the hole or not. It was either M10x1.25x30 or M10x1.25x40, i'm leaning towards 30. Got it all tightened up though and she fired right up. I figured the bolt should work for now and next time I get a chance ill look for a teg at the junkyard to pull an OEM one out of. You think i should put some lock tight on the bolt just in case or is it probably fine as long as I tighten it down good?

should be fine I wouldn't put lock tight on a steal bolt going into cast aluminum. and I have tried going to parts store and find a metric bolt for a honda and they never have them damn my town sucks.

well glad you got it fixed.

Back