LS Swap troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlueDemon

Finally this is the weekend I throw everything in and so far everything has gone extremely smooth untill I hit the wiring.... Everything is on the opposite side of where it should be. I was told Jdm 96 ls motor would be a plug and play with the exception of the injectors but I'm running into alot of issues. Whats going on??!

Oh yeah here are some sick pics, put in XTD stage 2 clutch
some pics with my new wheels Enkei Rpf-1's

yeah the harness plugs in on opposite sides of the firewall, the JDM ECU is in the left foot well

you should be able to modify your stock harness to fit

how do i modify it? do i use the civic harness or the integra harness?

civic harness... use the integra harness to scavenge wires from to lengthen where needed or swap plugs where needed

Well I think that is where I am having the problem because I don't have the civic motor harness I just have the harness inside the vehicle... Is there any way I can use the Integra motor harness and the civic interior harness? I am so close and this is the only thing stopping start-up now

You could put the Integra ECU on the left. Then you would have to extend all the dash stuff to the left too. Technically possible, might take a while to get it right. I wouldn't try it personally but if you're good with soldering and stuff you might be able to.

Thanks for your help I'm really struggling right now haha. I think the issue is that the integra engine harness does NOT match up with the civic harness for the rest of the vehicle. I believe what I truly need is a civic ENGINE harness to match up with the motor and the rest of my car. I'm assuming when people normally do this swap they already have the civic engine harness and just adapt the injectors to work correctly.

the 3rd gen integra harness matches perfectly with the 5th gen civic

the issue you are having is because the JDM harness plugs are on the opposite sides of the engine bay

some people have been able to cut some loom and stretch the harness to plug in... i dont know anyone personally who has done that so i cannot say as to how it works

the only reason people swap injectors or plugs is to match OBDs
when putting an OBD-2 engine in an OBD-1 car the plugs for the injectors, distributor, and alternator will be different

the choice is yours as to whether you want to swap the actual parts or the plugs, or get adapters

with the 96 harness i linked there will be no swapping of plugs or parts required... its direct plug-in

I agree with E.

USDM 92-95 Civic EX, CX, Si, DX harness will work great. EX and Si harness with have two VTEC plugs that you won't use.

USDM 94-01 Integra harness will work too.

JDM is right hand drive. Everything on the engine harness goes to the wrong side of the firewall.

Got it thanks everyone again. Got a 95 civic ex harness worked beautifully had to adapt two plugs only. Now the car won't start. The starter is great might be new, all wiring is good to it power and grounds. Whenever I try to turn it over I hear a click from the fuse box but nothing else. Fuse for ignition is good and all fuses are good inside the car as well. Any ideas? Clutch and brakes are great all running lights are good now I just need it to start!!

When you put the key to "on" position ....do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Ground on trans, valve cover and the engine harness is grounded too?

What plugs had to be modified?

Yes plenty of fuel, the clutch pedal switch wasn't in! Got that in and now car is trying to start but can't. Im getting .4 volts at the disctruber main power wire... Not sure why but its not creating any spark in the plugs.

Didn't have the valve cover grounded do now.

The plug for the alternator and two sensors had to be rewired to fit

What sensors? Just curious. On the distributor?

Is it a OBD2 LS motor? Looks like it from the valve cover.

one sensor on the intake and the bottom o2 sensor at the header. Yes its OB2 engine in an OBD1 but I have the jumper harnesses for both the injector and the distributor so everything plugs up perfect. And grounded the valve cover but it didnt start still :/

You could check continuity with distributor lines off the harness. Maybe there's a bad wire?

Okay got the wiring part figured out, a plug was undone under the fuse panel in the car. Finally got the car started! It wont start now though, just keeps trying but wont turn over so still working...

Won't turn over? Battery/alternator.

If it's turning ove and the plugs smell like gas....it's something electrical.

Ugh! This is getting very frustrating now haha. Battery was drained after trying so much. Alternator I had to re-wire to work so I will def check that again but I didn't think that would affect it starting up. Thanks again for throwing out ideas I work fulltime and try as hard as I can to work on the car but don't get to often

Back