ls timing belt removal??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kell211

i'm in the process of changing my head gasket and can't get my timing belt off. i need to get the bolt on the end of the crank loose, to take the drive belt pulley off, to then take the plastic timing belt cover off, and i can't get the bolt to break loose. is it reverse threaded or something? anyone out there had a hard time with this and/or have any advice or tricks to the process? i don't have access to a lift of any kind so putting much torque on the bolt is extremely hard. any help would be appreciated.

Air tools are you best friend when it comes to a situation like this. If you have the money available, buy a compressor and an air gun to do the job. Trust me when i say it will make like a lot easier and A very wise investment. Otherwise, its going to be a big headache trying to get it off.

what about the tensioner, with it loose you should be able to get the belt off, then take your mount off and take the belt around your lower driver side mount/ac mount, and then around your upper driverside motor mount.

to get the crank pully off, take off the cover that guards your flywheel and stick a screwdriver either between the teeth, or in one of the little holes in it...

the plastic timing belt cover won't come off without removing the pulley, and unless i'm mistaken it's impossible to remove the belt with that on. it's got the belt completely surrounded. i'll try the flywheel thing though. thanks for the help.

do what b16crx said..your gonna need someone to help you take that crank pulley bolt off..its not reverse threaded its just on there at over 100 pounds of torque,,your gonna need a breaker bar too..good luck

like they said you need to get the crank pully off get yourself a crank pully holder... i think the actual name is "harmonic damper pulley holder" i got mine from the toolwarehouse.net for $28 bucks. This will enable you to hold the crank from moving and at the same time get a socket on the crank bolt to loosen it up. The crank is torqued at 130 ftlbs so your gonna need some help i got a 1/2" 19mm impact deep socket a 1/2" breaker bar and a 4 foot cheater bar and it came right off.

Back