LS tranny vs B16 tranny,

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike_995

Hey guys, im looking into buying a transmission for a swap, and Ive found a fairly good deal 400 $ ls tranny with 100 000 km`s (inlcudes half shaft). Im just wondering how much slower is my car gonna be with an LS tranny vs a B16 tranny. Ive used this site to calculate the ratios
Fatboy Raceworks Transmission Gear Ratio Calculator - Honda/Acura & More

and there is quite a difference between 4th and 5th. However this is my daily driver in the sumer so... im just wondering if the price diff between the two transmissions is really worth the quicker acceleration.

Meh, I think I'd spend the extra money and get a shorter-geared tranny. The thing about VTEC motors is that they make their power up top, so you want a tranny that will get you to the higher RPMs quickly, and keep you there between shifts. A short-geared B16 tranny with a shorter final drive will do just that.

If its your 'dd' you could allways just put an LS fith gear in that way your not pushing four grand going down the highway.

Hmm... yea we will have to see i guess, the ls 5th gear idea sounds good. I can buy a transmission from tiger japanese for 650, and the shipping should be relativily cheap because they will ship from their warehouse in ontario. I dont know if this is extremly relevant but I found a site on the internet that does car performance calculations, you have to put in a torque curve, weight, gear ratios, drag, even tire size. And the diff between the two was max .4 seconds. However who really knows how accurate a computer calculation is gonna really be. On the other hand I figure that the torque of the b20 should be able to sort of offset the longer gears. Im gonna wait it out on that ls tranny, it wont get sold in a few days anyway. See if i can find a good deal on a b16 tranny.

Last edited:
On the other hand I figure that the torque of the b20 should be able to sort of offset the longer gears.

Yeah that's a consideration too. With the B20 block you'll have more low end power available to you then you would with just a straight B16. You might want to look into the GS-R transmission actually. It's kind of a compromise between the super-long LS gears and the super-short B16/Type R gears.

Yea, i just found a gsr combo on ebay thats in halifax actually 20 mins away from where I live lol. Im negotiating a price, im gonna try and get then engine and tranny for 1200 $

GSR tranny FTMFW!!! stronger differential than the b16.. not as long as the LS

Yea i cant even find a resonable deal atm, because shipping is ridiculous on a transmission. So i mise well go for the ls for now, if i cant get that gsr package. If i get tired of the ls Ill just keep my eye open for somethin to come around and sell the ls. Either way its gonna be a huge jump from my current d15b7 powertrain, the ls has shorter gears than my p20 tranny anyways, plus ill have double the hp, and near double the torque.

Why is it reving high or just wanna save on fuel? like does your car seem fast ?. Im putting this in a del sol s which is the lightest del sol they made and it weighs 2180 pounds... I bought a built LS vtec setup with STG 2 cams, 11.8:1 compression and a polished b16 head. Should be up around 200 WHP, so im expecting the LS tranny to be good enough....

Back