1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ls tranny?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by civ96, Dec 18, 2003.

1. civ96

civ96 Member

Hey I'm doing a swap in to my 96 cx its a b16 with typr r cams and intake i have a ls tranny that i picked up in perfect condition for $300 i was told its going to be slow. I want it to be fast but i'm going to be driving it 200km a day back and forth to work so i dont want a really close tranny but if its going to be way slower than if i use a typr r tranny than i will take the loss in gas. It will be running a 75 shot as well if that makes a diff. So i wanted to know if i could put a type r lsd and final drive in the ls tranny because the cheapest type r tranny i can find is $1400cdn dollars and i can get a type r lsd and final drive for $450cdn dollars. Just want to know if it can be done. Let me know what i should do.

2. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

cant be done, just use the Ls tranny if your worried about gas, if you want the acceleration use a gsr, b16 or type r (they all came with optional LSD...i think) If you want LSD in the LS tranny, you can get a
    Qualife.

3. theB16tegguy

theB16tegguy Senior Member

Will it be slow?..... hell no! will it be SLOWER than that of a shorter geared tranny?? yes.

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

its really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be....

but the itr diff won't work in the ls.

gsr/itr/ctr share one size

b16/ls share another

5. civ96

civ96 Member

Thanks guys for your help. I have made my decision i will stick with the ls tranny see how it runs and go from there. Where can i find these aftermarket lsd's I hear about?. If its to slow gsr it is, i just want to be around 13.9 with nos is that possable do you think? Thanks again guys.

6. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

8. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i thought if you use a gsr/itr final drive, ring gear, and diff it will work in a b16?

9. civ96

civ96 Member

well i checked out prices on quaiffe lsd's and when put in canadian dollars i might as well buy a itr tranny the lsd is $795us so like $1300cdn with tax and then like $100 for shipping i can get a whole itr tranny for $1400 cash, I like what B16 is saying about if i change the final drive ring gear the lsd from itr will work any one have more info on this. Thanks guys keep the info comming.

10. Sed8ed

Sed8ed New Member

Hey, a guy here has SiR gears 1-5 in his ls tranny I believe he used the ls final drive

11. civ96

civ96 Member

Who is this guy i need to speak with him i want 1-4 low and 5 to be long for the hwy because i do alot of driving.

12. gocivicls

gocivicls Senior Member

Humm! I always thought that LS/GSR/ITR could all use the ITR FD. While the B16 used the CTR FD, cuz the differential were the same size. Can't find where I read it, damn!!! Prob. more BS off of the web. 50% of what you hear is BS.

13. civ96

civ96 Member

Well i'm going to go ahead with the ls tranny the way it is i'll run it for this comming summer like that, and if i want it to be faster i will change up the tranny for the gsr or sir next winter. Thanks alot guys for the info.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted