ls transmission..shot differential?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gunzd679

okay so heres the story..this past weekend during normal driving conditions started gettin roughness seemed like coming from the drivetrain, slight at first but gradually became worse. i started driving around in circles cuttin the wheel all the way back and forth and heard my axle clicking okay so ordered a new one used a napa brand axle. smooth install, no problems spun the wheel on the other side to see if it would catch the axle and spin that also and it did but at times it wouldnt usually when i would spin the wheel stop it quick then spin it the other way. put the car on the lift my buddy watched the axles to listen for noise or anything abnormal going on i shifted all the way through the gears and i was getting clunks and some gear noise drove it around the shop still axle like symptoms..possible shot differential? anyone with ideas??

thanks

when i went through the gears while on the lift the axles spun fine, my buddy said the noise was coming from from transmission

manual trans? have you checked the fluid level? fluid condition? been doing alot of burnouts lately? drain the trans fluid, and see if any debris comes out...

yes its a manual no burnouts and no shavings in the fluid wish i would have gotten a magnetic drain plug would have been alot easier to tell putting a new one in talked to a transmission tech today he said the diffs most likely shot like i said i had the car up in the air running it through the gears cutting the wheel to the right then all the way back to the left..gave me no problems until load was on the axles which in turn puts load on the differential

Was the car in gear when you spun it?

It's possible that it's a bad differential; though for transmissions best bet is to open it up.

no it was in neutral..i would spin it and the other wheel would spin then i would spin it back the other way and the other wheel would would stop spinning..im thinkin differential, but like your saying the only way ill ever find out is by opening it up. im about 95 percent sure the diffs sheared grabbin another transmission next week since this car is my way to work and back but when i drop the old one out im gonna split the case

when my ls trans went, i could wiggle the pass side inboard cv joint in the tranny a quarter inch in all directions. it drove rough too.

When you replaced the axle did the snap ring come out with the old axle? I have seen them break off in the trans and make noise. Regardless it sounds like its time to open up the case. When diff bearings go bad you can grap the inner CV hubs and rock them back and forth, lots of movement!

Back