LS Turbo. good trans????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AWDrifter02

hey guys, im building an LS Turbo and wanna know your opinions on what trans would be best for my project. any help is greatly appreciated..Thanks.

Exactly. Shorter gears mean faster acceleration. The GSR transmission is pretty much a compromise between an LS and B16 transmission. Long gears being better for boost is a myth.

in my experience the gsr isnt as good as the ls. in a high hp fwd ap the longer gears help the car keep traction (not always). the car im speaking of is a 550hp car. it started with a gsr and pulled 11.4 @128 and with the ls it pulled 10.63 @136:eek:( with a little added traction due to the gearing they were also able to add a little boost)

so if shorter gears are better for all applications why doesnt this guy get a b16 and get a shorter gear set? I never said that i though the gsr was a bad idea, just that i didnt like it. but i guess for a street car the gsr wouldnt be a bad idea.

i was actually told to do a GSR trans with a type-r final drive. is that a good idea?? and i was also wonderin if anyone had any tips because im putting it into an EF civic hatch and dont know how thats gonna work since the EF has a cable driven clutch. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Exactly. Shorter gears mean faster acceleration. The GSR transmission is pretty much a compromise between an LS and B16 transmission. Long gears being better for boost is a myth.

Not so true Scott. Depending on the turbo size he runs, if he is driving this car daily it would not be very enjoying to drive a turbo ls that will be spooling (depending on the turbo size) roughly around 3500-4000 rpm. For example, if he were going 80 mph in 5th gear with a gsr transmission, his rpm will be at 4,000. That would cause more wear on the turbo itself. Ive had both and I prefer the LS transmission especially for DD. Much better fuel economy and a more comfortable experience.

Now if he wants to race light to light or at the track constantly, the shorter gears are the way to go. For driving distance, its beat.

I'm glad I came back with the responses I wanted to hear/ Now I don't have to start my argument.

I agree and disagree with ya LSVTEC, since I too have had both transmissions on my LST. My second turbo spooled up around 3.5-4k and I still recommend the GSR. The GSR was noticeably quicker. Sure I was in boost on the highway but the car was just faster and obviously had much better pull with the shorter gears which is what most people want.

The LS still just seemed too long to me, I said differently back then but that's cause I couldn't afford another GSR trans after the ring gear sheared off half it's teeth and I wanted to make myself feel better about having to have the LS.

Like I have said many times in the past, it is all about what the owner of the car wants. Fuel economy and comfort without having to be in boost in 5th gear driving @ 80mph, or more accelleration with shorter gears. Either way, your gonna go fast. :)

Depends on the purpose of the car. If it is a drag car I would say si tranny, if it is an autocross car I would have to say gsr personally I wouldn't go with the ls tranny unless you want better gas mileage. lol if you want better gas mileage buy a d-series motor. lol

if it's any type of race car te b16 tranny would be the best trans unless you're car has has enough power to top the trans out before the 1/4 mile is up or there are super long straighaways on the course your running.

Ok, I am building or my ls turbo a gsr trans with lsd and using the 4th and 5th gears from an LS trans that way I have the best of both worlds. I think this gives my the highway economy I want but the lower gear to tear it up with. If you got the money this is the way to go in my mind.

What about in my situation. Ill be running Full 3" Ex. Garrett T3/60-1 .48 a/r and I wanted good fuel economy, not spooling on highway and good acceleration??? Elvis I think thats a good idea for my situation.

a 60/48 is gonna spool up by 2500 rpm, you're not gonna get a trans that'll keep you out of boost with that turbo

So either way I could still use the ls tranny with good accel and better gas mileage than the gsr cause I dont care about comfort to much

Well I never said the GSR won't give me better than the LS tranny but the way you make it sound is that the GSR has better acceleration no matter what HP. lol thats how you word it, too me of course. Wait is that true though???

yes, the gsr has shorter gear ratios so yes it will be quicker then any LS

Ya but in my opinion I would rather have more traction with less accel than less traction with more accel. I don't wanna be spinning through all gears before I even get traction at the finish line lol (I'm just theoretically speak) Plus Ill still get the benefit of fast accel and traction with the LS tranny for my setup. Which is why I didn't want the GSR. 60 trim with .48 A/R w/ 3" ex will spool pretty fast anyway so it doesn't matter really, if I wanted fast accel.

Back