LS Turbo or GSR Turbo for my 1st car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys,

Soon I plan on buying an Acura Integra, and I want to turbocharge it right away. This will be my first turbo project. I want to beat a 1999 Mustang GT 5.0 with bolt on's. Would you guys recommend I get an Acura Integra LS or Acura Integra GSR and then what kind of turbo kit would you recommend? I really need some help here!

Thanks guys!

im going out on a very long branch here but the gsr 's tranny is an excellent drag tranny right? it has a very close ratio gear box w/ a 4.4 or 4.7 fd.

Plus the gsr throws down about 170hp correct?

make a home made turbo kit and you'd be spankin stangs all day long.

nathan

ls teg with a bolt on turbo kit would whoop a 99 gt

When i had my del sol, I completely owned a 2000(?) gt 5 spd...by about 2 car lengths to 60

stock b18b, t3/60-1, uberdata, 8 psi

I just bought a Integra GS (AKA LS) it was about $3 grand less than a GSR. If you are planning on getting a nice GSR with low miles you are looking at $15K at least where you can get a LS for $11 or $12K. With the money you saved there is a turbo kit. I would go T3/T4 kit and run 7-8psi that is what I am going to do soon myself.

Start out with the GSR motor if you can and if you build it right you should have a reliable 300whp turbo motor. You could always buy a civic hatch and put the GSR in that. It would cost less than buying either integra and it would be faster.

:werd:

Just get a hatch and swap the GSR engine, or better yet an ITR mill. I beat GT mustangs in my hatchie with a JDM gsr swap.

I aint gonna spend 11 or 15k on an Integra, I plan on spending like 5k on an integra (94+).

When I asked what the price difference was, I was wondering like.. what extra would have to be put into the LS to get it to beat cars that are running 14.2's and lower... ya know?

This is kind of what I had planned....

Im selling my 98 Civic Ex and paying off the loan, earning me somewhere like 1800-2000 profit. Then I want to buy an acura integra, and take the 2000 and turbocharge it, if the turbokit cost's more than 2000, im going to try to have to take more out from the loan, and i dont really want to have to do that.

There is a 96 GSR with 88k miles on it for 5500 I was looking at buying, clean title.

Dono if 2000 is going to be enough to turbocharge the GSR to run low low low 14's to high 13's... maybe spending like 4500 on an LS and 3000 on a turbo is a better idea.. i really want the GSR though, its a solid base to start at...

What do you guys honestly think?

Thanks

What I would do is buy the gsr and hold off on the turbo for about a month. That way you could save up your extra money to buy the turbo for the gsr. I think you will be happy with the power gains you will get with the gsr coming from a 98 ex. That should hold you off for atleast a month. Then when you have the money to get a nice turbo kit, you'll know how to drive your new car and you'll spank the shit out of that 5.0. Your friend will be bowing down to you. :worthy: B)

Originally posted by josh_isakson@Jun 30 2004, 02:12 AM
I know, but I think they still call it a 5.0, its really like a 4.6 sohc or something like that

errrmm... no... the last 5.0 was in 95, then they switched from the OHV to the OHC design, the SOHC is still in the GT where as the Cobra and Mach Is got DOHC.

I say get the GSR, but don't boost it right off the bat.

If you want to run low 14's to high 13's then turbocharge the car you have. I have a 95 Civic EX with the stock d16z6 and I ran a 13.3 with slicks and 13.9 with drag radials my first time at the track. I should be able to run a 12.9 next time at the track on slicks with a little more boost. I will probably get a few more runs in with my drag radials too.

Oh yeah, you really don't need to turbo a GSR to beat a 5.0 GT with bolt ons, they're low 15 second cars to start with so it's pretty much evened out. Get some bolt ons, cams, exhaust, header, intake manifold, suspension and a good set of sticky rubber and you could see 14.2-14.7s easily... depending on how many bolt ons the 5.0 has that should be enough to spank it.

Back