Ls Turbo Swap Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsturbo651

i'm planning to throw a drag 3 turbo kit into my civic ls and was wondering if the stock clutch will hold the boost....i'm not really sure about that...hopefully it will for now untill i get a clutch....let me know what u guys think....

i think you should save money up and get a clutch when you put it in, it might be able to handle it, but it's better to be safe then sorry, just my two cents...

peace!

The stock clutch will probably be able to withstand the abuse of the extra power, but it will slip really bad. It would almost be like spinning out, only its not your tires loosing traction but instead you are loosing grip between the flywheel and the tranny, long before the power ever even gets to the ground. A clutch masters stage 3 would probably do the trick. You can pick one up for about $400. A stage 3 holds, i think, holds 110% over stock. A stage 4 is obviuosly stronger, but more expensive as well. Also the stage 4 does not have the 500 mile break in that a stage 3 has. I have allways had good luck with clutch masters. Now, there are a couple of other things to consider. If you are using stock b series mounts, they might break if the clutch hooks up too good. Therefore you should get some billet mounts (hasport/place racing),
but its not something you should have to worry about too much, just keep it in mind for the near future. One last thing... I have heard of people having really fast FWD cars with stock clutches. The way that you do this, is by having your flywheel machined in such a way that the all of the neccesarry friction material is on the flywheel, rather than the clutch. This is probably not the most reliable method but it should do the trick. I would strongly recommend that you buy a clutch. sorry for making this so long

Back