LS turbo vs. LS vtec turbo : pros and cons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by adnoh@Mar 3 2005, 10:11 AM
Well, to completely honest with you bro, the diffrence between the flow characteristics of the GSR and SiR heads are minimal....maybe almost non-existant. But IMO, spending more hard earned $ on a GSR head for your application just doesn't make any sence. You can pick up an SiR head for about half the price and have the exact same performance (maybe even better in some cases) than the GSR. Here is a link of some pics of GSR, SiR, And Type R heads so you can see the subtle diffrences between them.
Heads

[post=468765]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL I didn't see the link you posted either. Robert's doing my valve job, and spec'ing my bottom end. Small world.

just one more question...

i was told by someone up here (not questioning their knowledge)...that in order to make the ls vtec head swap RELIABLE..i would need to get a b16 timing belt,b16 water pump,b16 oil pump,and then a b18a head gasket..yes,i want my swap to be reliable,but i priced all of that at advance,and its about 300$ all together..excluding the oil pump,i would have to get that somewhere else...so i ask...should i start rounding up that stuff or not?

That sounds about right. Just to be sure, look in the tech articles section of this site....the how to build a LS/VTEC article to confirm. Or maybe someone else could confirm this as well?

On another note, don't worry about the B16 Oil pump.....this would be the perfect opportunity to go with a Warlbro 255 instead.....not too much more expensive, and an essential if you plan on upgrading later on. Trust me on this one...it's worth it. Good luck on your build.

MikeBergy:
I've seen a few of his heads online and they are really clean. Post up some pics of yours, when it's done, I'd like to take a look :)

just one more question...

i was told by someone up here (not questioning their knowledge)...that in order to make the ls vtec head swap RELIABLE..i would need to get a b16 timing belt,b16 water pump,b16 oil pump,and then a b18a head gasket..yes,i want my swap to be reliable,but i priced all of that at advance,and its about 300$ all together..excluding the oil pump,i would have to get that somewhere else...so i ask...should i start rounding up that stuff or not?

i kno this is a old ass post but i was reading about Ls vtec and i saw that this guys type in for a reliable Ls vtec is to get b16 belt/pump but im pretty sure dat the b16 belt is no good on the Ls vtec cuz its shorter so it wont fit or wont line up rite...so yea for bringing this post bakk from 4-5 yrs ago..lol...damn! i did it so wen the next guy look for a ls vtec that next guy wont waste his money on buying the wrong parts...

leaving this open because there's some good info here

also, egturbohatch, the belt would work provided you have the b16 waterpump and oil pump as well

thats a very common setup for people with ls-vtecs

leaving this open because there's some good info here

also, egturbohatch, the belt would work provided you have the b16 waterpump and oil pump as well

thats a very common setup for people with ls-vtecs

yea some good stuff....................

i thought i read somewhere on Ls vtec that not to use b16 timing belt cuz it wont work cuz of the head or block height difference or something but i guess not..
i kno dat Ls belt and pump work but not recomended cuz wen at high rpm it creates bubble or something cuz of its 19 teeth but will work. also the gsr belt and pump is recomend and good for high reving...22 or 23 teeth but never heard about b16 belt in ls vtec.....

thanks for clearing it up for me and everybody else

youre right, i think its the gsr stuff that everyone runs because the height is the same. maybe it wasnt the b16 being used

you can use b16 water pump oil pump because they are the same as the gsr. but you cant use a b16 belt because the b16 belt is shorter than the gsr's because the b16 has a shorter deck hight.

^thats what I was thinking, thanks for the clarification on that one

so LS Vtec "NO" b16 belt...... just for future reference....thanks for the clarification........i knew i read it somewhere..

i do have ls/vtec and i use gsr or b16 headgasket, ls w/pump ls/oil pump and ls timing belt kit and no problem b16 head 3 angle job ,ctr cams, supertech valve spring , reatiners , je pistons /rings, eagle rods ,750cc inj itr intake manifold pte super 60 turbo stock bottom end just arp head bolts = 19 psi 447hp 392tq hondata ecu

447 and 392 tq on a stock bottom end? thats a ticking time bomb unless youve got something else youre not listing

edit: never mind, just saw that you have pistons/rods :p

i do have ls/vtec and i use gsr or b16 headgasket, ls w/pump ls/oil pump and ls timing belt kit and no problem b16 head 3 angle job ,ctr cams, supertech valve spring , reatiners , je pistons /rings, eagle rods ,750cc inj itr intake manifold pte super 60 turbo stock bottom end just arp head bolts = 19 psi 447hp 392tq hondata ecu

damn 19psi...NICE! cant wait till mines done, .so how high u revving that motor up too, as i stated earlier from wat i read Ls water pump and oil pump is no good,"JUNK" so hows ur motor running and how many miles u put on...i wanna go Ls -Vtec turbo but scared it wont hold too long....i already bought Ls water pump/Ls timing belt but then i read about them Ls parts....????????????????????so does Ls parts sukks ??

not really i drive this car every day w/not problems at all and ls parts don't sucks i rev this motor 8,200 rpm at the dyno and still strong this motor has only 500 mill on it still fresh no even break in yet there is a guy pushing 533hp in stock walls in you tube amazing so they key is the good tuner and good gas i mix 93 with 110 to b safe no detonation

not really i drive this car every day w/not problems at all and ls parts don't sucks i rev this motor 8,200 rpm at the dyno and still strong this motor has only 500 mill on it still fresh no even break in yet there is a guy pushing 533hp in stock walls in you tube amazing so they key is the good tuner and good gas i mix 93 with 110 to b safe no detonation

dats good to kno,,,yea its all about the tuning i guess..so wat ecu u using wit that Hondata? i got a P75 wit Hondata S300 wen i first got the Ls turboed but completely stock motor but now i want to build the bottom end and boost it high like URZ...:D..19psi sounds fun and i love that turbo boostin...so i think im goin to be doin ur setup for my build but wat u think i should do go straight Ls turbo and build the block and maybe PnP the head wit 3 angle valve job and upgrade the valve train and turbo cams and gears and a good bottom end wit forged and polished, so wat u think....im looking to get at a 300-350 horse at the wheels as a daily drive, as dat stated is it worth it to go Ls vtec turbo??? i need it to be reliable! willing to spend da cash dat is nessassary for a reliable build.
btw u got a vid of ur ride running hard..lol i love boosted cars ever since i first sat in my first turbo car....and dat wasnt a honda..lol.. it was a Saab 2.0 Turbo and damn dat car was beautiful but couldnt mod it and pay for the loan da same time so i lost it...:(..but i always love Hondas,

Back