ls/v help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sick lsv

Hey wats up.this my first post..I just baught a ls/v and have a few ?s..

This is the low down.
Freshend ls block (97) 130k miles..acl bearings,honed and cleaned,good comp across all cyl..
Fresh gsr head (96)..new seals,homade p&p job,all cleaned and alrddy have ls/v kit.

Iv always wanted ls/v turbo..I have a 00 ex coupe and only lookin for 350-450 hp..money is really not a problem but it will take me awile to get parts..this will be a hwy monster not a track car

Iv heard the r/s is really crappy on ls blocks..will this hurt me even if I build the bottom?

What comp ratio will I be lookin at with this in stock form? And should I get a lower comp
Piston with my rods? And do I HAVE to sleeve with this power goal? And I no tune tune tune lol

For a goal that high, you will need to sleeve and build. You'll want the comp ratio between 9:1 and 10:1. Most stay to the lower end, but it's all about the tuning.

Have you ever owned a turbo car? Or driven a car with that kind of power to weight ratio?

Ya I figured I would need to sleeve and I no I'm guna need to lower comp but idk wat its guna be stock so how do I no wat ratio pistons I need cause I don't wana get to low..I'm a huge car guy and do crazy research on everything lol iv had a 90 lx mustang procharged a 96 gsr with a few things and a 88 supra turbo so iv had a few things but this is guna be a amazing car I think lol and time is money to me and I have a lot of time

if you are looking for much north of 300whp you need to sleeve it if you want long term reliability. There is a compression calculator somewhere on the net, that will give the cr of any combination of B series parts. Maybe someone else will remember what its called.

As far as a guess for what compression pistons to buy, i can tell you what i used. i used 9.0:1 in my b20vtec turbo build. When I figured it out with the b16a head decked .10 on the b20z block it came out to approx 9.7:1 actual cr. it was years ago, wish i could remember more.

Cool thx I found it..says ill have 10.18:1 in stock form so that guna work out good wen i get mmy pistons..I guess ill start piecing together a turbo kit soon..and I still need to no about the r/s ratio problem..will it still be bqd wen I replace my rods? Cause I don't wana break rods at 8500 rpms lol they tend to get expensive

I wouldn't worry about it since your doing pistons and rods. Theres a lot of boosted lsvtecs out there running great with the stock crank. Even the cheaper eagle rods have arp hardware and will be fine. The power level you are looking for isn't that extreme.

im running a stock crank and i am in the power goal that you are trying to hit. My block is at 9:5:1. Im boosting 18lbs. just some advice make sure you buy name brand parts otherwise your throwing money away. Make sure that you are going to be able to spend a good deal of money on this project. Everything will add up. You might not realize it now but there are a lot of little things that you will need to do to get the power that you want.

Ya I really don't wana spend more than 7 on everything..I figure that will get me were I wana be..I need some good info on a turbo tho since this will be my first boosted honda..and need to no how to find a good tuner in texas..

you gotta spend money for a good reliable build, if you want to make power, you have to spend money, id completely overhaul the engine before I turbocharged it anyways, Ive had a healthy LS/V and a b18c5 before, I know they are hyped up to be soo great and desirable, I was unimpressed

Ya I wasn't impressed with my gsr either but that wasn't half the car this one guna be..and money isn't a problem I just gata find time.but back to rods and pistons..I no I need vtec pistons but wat about rods? Can I use gsr or itr? Or just ls? And ya I have 1 pic ill post in a bit..I gata take more

Ya I wasn't impressed with my gsr either but that wasn't half the car this one guna be..and money isn't a problem I just gata find time.but back to rods and pistons..I no I need vtec pistons but wat about rods? Can I use gsr or itr? Or just ls? And ya I have 1 pic ill post in a bit..I gata take more

Match the rod length to the crank.

Get aftermarket rods for the LS so that they will be the right length, get whatever size pistons you like... if you are going to sleeve the block the bore size is whatever you choose.

why the fuck he would tell you to use parts made for the b16 who knows? maybe referring to the well known cheapo upgrade of changing to b16a oem pistons in a LS, for the bump in compression. As said before, for what you are trying to do, you need aftermarket pistons and rods, and sleeving if you want long term dependability.

Back