LS/vtec Boosted vs LS boosted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BoostedEG/LS

Hey guys, im new to the site, i have a little problem on my hands, and im just wondering if u guys can give me some input on ur past experiences, and knowledge. I have a stock LS boosted, with a t3/t4 turbo, .50 compressor A/R, .50turbine, with 440 RC injectors street tuned with chrome on 91 octance in my 92 civic hatch, i took it to the dyno, and i did 210WHP, and 177WT, @10-11 p.s.i. I also have a GSR head that im debating on weather or not im going to put it on and make an LS/vtec or not, people are telling me just to boost the LS @ 15 p.s.i. and dyno tune for 94 octane, and save the money on the conversation, i also think that my set up with the LS/vtech will put down almost 300WHP, which in my opinion wont be to useful on the street with regards to makeing the power be reliable. Sorry for dragging on, but just wanted to put my whole situation down, my question is this , does anyone know the pros and cons to this situation, i am told the LS can handle 300WHP on stock internals, so this is what im going by, the car is an everyday driver and reliability is a HUGE factor. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

I dont believe that 300whp will be safe on a stock bottom end. My friend had almost the same exact setup you were running and bent a rod, he made 230 whp and 207ft/lb on a mustang dynamometer. The ls rods are pretty pathetic in my opinion. The vtec head does flow way more air than the ls which would give you a large horsepower gain. But then again if you start reving out to 8000 or higher with the vtec head those weak ls rods will come back to haunt you. My suggestion is build your bottom end up with some eagle rods and good pistons such as je. Then have a valve job done on the head. My friend is running this setup with a jg manifold and throttle body with only crv cams as a upgrade for the head. He has 3 inch exhaust all the way back and made 295whp and 250ft/lb on the same dyno with 17lbs of boost. He was running pump gas and 3 bar map tuned with crome pro. This car whoops the shit out of everything ive seen pull up to it, even a sti by the end of second gear with mad wheel spin!! Hope this gives you an idea of the ls motor's potential with a built bottom end and no vtec head. Hope this helps.^_^

i appreciated and understand what ur saying, but i dont want to spend another $2000, pobably more, on the car, because i only use it for the street, and in my opinion spending more money is a waste for the street, atleast for me it is, everyone is different,because then i have to worry about the clutch , and tranny, im not saying u r wrong or anything, i have just read on alot of sites while researching guys are taking the LS stock bottom ends up to 300WHP, thats why i am kind of changing my mind about putting the GSR head on, because i realize i cant take it up to like 8000rpm for too long, thats why im trying to get peoples opinion and past experience, i was told i could probably get my set up to do like 250WHP or a little more , with a dyno tune on chrome pro, with 93 octane.i would be happy with 250 or a little more WHP if i can get, just want to see if this is possible though, i already have 210 WHP , and 177WT, and its quick in my little EG hatch, so i figure 250WHP or a little more will be great for the street.

if your worried about reliablity at 300whp your going to have to do pistons and rods. the rod bolts on the ls rods are first to go. 300 would be pusshint it close to the limits.

if your tuned by a good tuner then i dont see much of a problem with 250 on 93 oct. i would get headstuds, rods bolts.

rods and pistons can be had from tunertoys for less than $700

Back