LS/Vtec build.......NEED HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Are you sure your fireing on all 4. Test each. Also check injectors you might have abad one that is not consistanly working. Also I would put some new high oct gas in. Go over your timeing and check you valve lash. I had a friend that make the valve lash so tight the intake valve on #1 was open just a little all the time. Get a feeler guage and make sure they are right

Valve check, hum.....
yea, my dad told me to check the valve but i haven't done so yet. Will basicly re-zero timing and all this weekend.
The injectors was known to be working(from old motor until swap), just gonna use'm for now until upgrade comes by.

sounds like a firing order. can't go past 30 or sumthin? check you're firing order. sometimes it's it. you spend a lot of money on the fuels and gaskets and all that shiet and find out it's a firing order gone wrong. check TDC on number 1 cylinder, spark wire location on the distributor, check rotors, and you might just find your problem.

If he had plugs on incorrectly (the only way you can change firing order) the engine would not start.

Ok, an update or recap:

Motor runs and revs fine during idle.
Motor misses, bog?, shoots flames, when trying to drive. Basicly does this when you put in gear and let off clutch. Still does this if clutch is pressed and reving while moving.

Compression test w/ only 7 cranks, got 250psi across all cylinders.
Vaccum test, got only 0-4 in-HA(mercery / inches)

Things I gonna do this weekend:

Try P28 if it runs any better.
Got my Hondata IM gasket, gonna put that in.
Recheck timing, and check valve lash.

If ya guys think I should check any other stuff, tell me. And thanks for the replys. :worthy:

Ok,

Tried the p28, didn't work at all.

Installed my Hondata IM gasket - helped motor a little.

Rechecked timing, havn't checked valves yet.

Well, motor runs a little better now. Have no throttle response at the low end, only on high end.

Now have CEL code #7 - WTF? :angry: Was working fine untill to day.

Motor bogs when under 3k rpms, responsive above 3k.

Can missing TPS do this?

Off topic a little are you running b16 pistons or stock ls pistons also did you have your block bored/ honed. If so by how much?

Ok was looking a the valves today, the valves (or rockers) makes a little ticking sound when I push and pull on them. They suppose to do that? When I go to turn the crank, I hear this pssssss sound, heard it really good with valve cover off. Hoping this is normal for a high compression motor.

My motor also has white smoke comming out of the throttle body when you open it (w/ motor off).

Did a vaccum test on my sisters stock auto accrod, it did 10 in-HA. My motor only did half of that. So I must still have a leak somwhere in the IM. :angry:

Also, I had to extend the 02 wires, so I just used some wires and butt conectors. Is this OK?

I'm gonna resort to just changing out the harness for a 96-98 ex harness. Should I even do this?

I'm running out of solutions...... Help!....... :worthy:

I think your going down the wrong path. You need to do some more research on the LSvtec engine. Check out some other sites books. Look at the proven set ups. I am a honda tech and it is hard to say what is going on with out seeing the motor. The sound your hearing when you rotate the engine is normal it is the air moveing in and out of the cly as you rotate. The rockers will feel loose if the came lobe is not putting pressure on them. that is not a problem you need to set the valve as per factory specs. Useing a feeler guage. It is a delicate process and if you haven't done it before it can be tricky. Follow a factory manual if you don't have one you can go to the dealer ship and ask them to copy a few pages for you if your nice they will likely do that. Go in the after noon around 4pm.

You should not connect any car wire on a car with wire crimps. They suck and provide a poor connecting not tomention they say unprofessional install. Get you self a soidering iron for like 10 buck at radio shack sears homedepot etc. Some roissin core electrical soider make sure it is the right stuff and some shrink tubing. If you make the conections this way they are sure to be good and hold up against the elements ie heat weather water etc. on you lsvtec what timeing belt and water pump are you useing. You need to be using b16 or gsr water pump and a gsr belt this is the best setup and no problems will occure. only other option is a ls water pump and a ls belt. the ls pump does not cool as well..

Make sure you fireing order is right check it again against the manual to make sure. Make sure your fireing on all cyl. make sure you spark plugs are gapped right. How is you fuel pressure? I would suggest a FP regulator it is cheap and very effective. It is possiable the TPS could be fucking with you you can do a simple test on it with a muilt meter to tell again in the manual. How is you ignition timeing how far advanced or retarded is it?

I don't think changeing the harness is going to do shit accept cost you money. You are haveing some problem with you spark fuel and air. If i am not mistaken with Pr3 pistons in there you are running at abou6t 11.5:1 Cr which is very high you need and i mean need high test gas lots of air and a strong spark to run right. Low oct gass with not do any more. I think your not getting the right mixture due to you engine control. Tuneing may change your result. Good luck.

Back