1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ls/vtec build questions

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by drpenguin, Oct 23, 2004.

1. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

I have decided to go with a ls/vtec in my rex. I went down and checked out some hondas here in town. There was one that really caught my eye. The only ls/vtec i saw as a matter of fact. From what i heard you put a b16a head on the ls. But this guy had a GSR head on his ls. So im wondering what would make more power? From what i figure the GSR set up would be more spendy. But when it comes to cars what isnt? So yeah whould would kick more ass, :nutkick: the b16 or the gsr head?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

They're about the same in stock form, but the GSR head has smaller combustion chambers and larger quench pads. It will give you about 0.2:1 higher compression with the same pistons as the B16 head, and the larger quench pads help to prevent detonation a bit more. B16 heads are generally cheaper because they're easier to find, but if you can't find a GSR head don't worry about it.

3. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

Okay so b16 it is, Another question whats this double butter fly thing i keep hearing about in the GSR intake?

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

it's shit. buy a skunk2 intake manifold.

5. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

whats so great about skunk 2?

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

It's not shit. It's a valve that allows the intake manifold to have two different runner lengths. It allows the Honda engineers to broaden the torque curve of the stock engine. It's very nice to have, but most people just toss it for an aftermarket piece that breathes well at higher revs.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted