LS/Vtec Clearing Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMjackyboy

Hey my names jack and im in the prgoess of doing a ls/vtec and my car is a 95" integra ls. I just bought a gsr head for it witch game with everything stock.

heres what i looks like: Pictures by JDMjackyboy - Photobucket

Can i use the LS tranny to run this setup?
Do i have to pull everything out of the car or just take off the ls head?

im eventually running a turbo once intercooler comes in. Are ls pistions the best for the setup or should i buy aftermarket rod bolts , rods, rod bearings, pistions?

Everything you say helps. I have done extencive research but nothing Clears up these last few questions of mine. thanks in advance!

No need to bump a thread after ~30mins.

-Yes.
-To install the GSR head? No.
-Depends on what compression you're going for and power goal; though stronger components is always recommended for peace of mind.

im looking to make around 240-300whp after turbo.
thank you very much i was hopeing i would be able to, where i live would cost 1000 dollars to get a new vtec tranny. so looking for 240-300 would aftermarket pistons and rods be a necesity(sp)?

New

Just Finished Building entire bottem end.
-Wiesco Pistons & eagle rods/ARP rodbolts
-New Oil/Water pump (vtec)
-engine balenced and micropolished
-Stock 81mm bore still

So now my problem has come to witch headgasket to use? i know its bin covered time and time again just why use ls vs vtec? i already have a vtec gasket that came with all my other gaskets i replaced in the head. So i would be saving money using it. I just can't find anywhere the ESACT reason to use the ls one? Please let me know!

And for my head im using b18c1 with blox intake mani and stock cams

And for my other question. p28 chipped vs p72 ecu? cant find a clear answer about that. THANKS in advance to every response!

Not sure on the head gasket but, in terms of compression, I am pretty sure you need to put into consideration the bottom end you just put in and let that help you dictate the gasket or gaskets you use.

In terms of an ECU, I would rather run a Chipped/Socketed ECU that can be tuned on what ever program your dyno tuner will like. I would not run a Virgin set up for a LS/VTEC with a built bottom end.

hmm so use the gasket that fits with the block and not with the head then? and do you think sense me tuner is 300 miles away and hes closest up here in alaska, would it be ok if i told him what parts ive added and let him chip it and send it to me? would that allow me to beable to drive it 300 miles so he could actually tune it with the car?

You could try that if you trust him with the right tune. From what I know, its possible for him to have done your 'set-up' before and has that tune data on his hard drive. He could burn it for you and get you a drivable car. But, even then, I would drive nice and easy and cross my fingers.

Or, you could just tow it there with a rental that tows the front tires and hook it up to tow it with another car. Its a fresh build and such....I would tow it there unless you feel educated enough on breaking in the motor and then driving it 300 miles. It sounds like a handful.

alright man thanks alot. That helps a ton. I will talk to him and see what he thinks. he has done the tune before not with esactly my parts though. maybe it will be close enough. as for the headgasket, more people saying ls, so i guess i will just order one!? anyone else with anymore info please let me know! thanks!

IF you are going to drive the car on a basemap that someone has made from a distance, you had better have a wideband setup and working properly in the car. especially for a 300 mile drive.

best choice is to trailer the car there. sucks, but it could mean the life/death of your engine.

about your gasket you need an ls gasket because you plug the oil jacket for the vtec head because the ls block does not have the oil jacket, now you need to decide on which thickness of gasket to use because you built the bottom end, you don't want to high of compression

But i used GE Ls/vtec Converstion kit to plug up the oil hole so i didnt know why it would leak oil thats all with a vtec headgasket, didnt know what else was different. its a 3 layer head gasket i have, and sense im going for low compression to eventually boost would that be ok? and i mean i really didnt want to have to buy ls headgasket sense i pluged holes. but if you think i need it for sure let me know. trying to get this done by november!

But i used GE Ls/vtec Converstion kit to plug up the oil hole so i didnt know why it would leak oil thats all with a vtec headgasket, didnt know what else was different. its a 3 layer head gasket i have, and sense im going for low compression to eventually boost would that be ok? and i mean i really didnt want to have to buy ls headgasket sense i pluged holes. but if you think i need it for sure let me know. trying to get this done by november!

I have read that the LS gasket is best too....based on there being no need for the oil passage hole in the VTEC gasket. Isn't it 3 layers? If thats right, just run all three.

You need to use the Ls head gasket period. Using a B16 or GSR head gasket can lead to leaks at the head. The Vtec gasket has a hole for oil supply to the Vtec head. We block this in the head and get oil from an external line. The unneeded hole in the Vtec gasket could cause sealing issues and coolant, oil or compression may leak.

Ok I need to correct my self. The best head gasket to use it the one for the head not the block. Ls gasket need to be modified to work, rivets removed and dowel pin wholes enlarger. The Vtec gasket needs no mods and since there is no oil hole in the block and it is plugged in the head then there is no way for oil to leak. Also the gasket is made to seal at the oil hole anyways, so it will seal if there is no hole.

Ok I need to correct my self. The best head gasket to use it the one for the head not the block. Ls gasket need to be modified to work, rivets removed and dowel pin wholes enlarger. The Vtec gasket needs no mods and since there is no oil hole in the block and it is plugged in the head then there is no way for oil to leak. Also the gasket is made to seal at the oil hole anyways, so it will seal if there is no hole.
You are so full of misinformation it's unreal... I explained to you already in another thread why you want the head gasket to match the block, not the head, but you keep insisting it's the other way around. If you don't want to listen to me, then listen to some other sources...

Let's begin. Now, in my opinion, there are a few NECESSARY things to do/parts to buy when building a "reliable" lsvtec

New OEM LS (90-01) B18a/b head gasket
^ Was taken from https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/how-build-reliable-lsvtec-b20vtec-70187/

You will also need the following:

. LS headgasket
^ Was taken from LS/VTEC Build up Guide Parts List - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

The parts list to do a VTEC swap is anything but short. However, aside from the cylinder head and ECU, everything is fairly inexpensive. Here's what you'll need:

· '90-'01 Integra LS head gasket
^ Was taken from Building the LS-VTEC Honda Civic Engine - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Can we end this now...

Dude if you dont believe me then call Hasport and ask them. I guess Honda Tuning is wrong as is the shop that Honda Tuning does some of their work out of, Superior Racing Development. The thread you are referencing is way old and better ways have been found since the early 2006. Why would you buy a gasket that needs to be modified to work when you can get a Vtec one that need one modding. And this whole rep points thing is BS. I am ASE certified and specialize in Honda engines and diag. I have been doing this a while so I may know a thing or to, but I am wrong also. You do as you please. Many of the people on here have no back ground in auto repair at all and are just week end warriors the enjoy wrenching and learning all thing Honda. The Ls gasket does work I never said it did not but the Vtec gasket is the best choice as it needs no modding to work. Or you can get a Golden Eagle LS Vtec head gasket thae id a hybrid of the Vtec and LS gasket.

Last edited:
Back