ls vtec ecu please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmloc

i am totally getting all new parts for an ls vtec for 92 integra
Can someone please explain to me how tuning works
and what is the best ecu to use for ls vtec for my integra
so it has the most capabilities?
and the fastest possible ls vtec i can have?

thanks again

1) tuning is a process done where they look at fuel and timing maps to maximize your engine's efficiency and power. Each motor is different and depending on setup these variables change. The tuner will hook up a wideband o2 sensor and run your car on a dyno to see what the air fuel ratios are and adjust fuel and timing to avoid going lean (too little fuel) and too rich (too much fuel). There's more involved but I'll keep it short. The tuner will also use an ECU to program this, giving you a 'tune' or map that he will later load into your socketed ECU (if using Crome etc) or it will input the data onto Hondata's ECU.

2) The best ECU for your setup if you're getting a tune will be a p28... I know someone will bring up other good choices, but usually tuners use a p28 or other socketable/convertable ECU.

3) I can't answer about the fastest possible, as that all depends on how much you're going to spend and on which parts.

thanks alot man for your help

i want the most expandable ecu for everything includiong vtec thats what i meant
i plan to get ls vtec
i plan to fully build the engine
new intake manifold
new header
new pistons
im going to bore the engine i dont know how many mm depends on how oversized i can get type r pistons
all new gaskets
piston rings
cam gears
new cluth probably a stage 1
type r water pump
gsr timing belt
all new arp rod bolts and head studs
alot of things man
i just want to know the most expandable ecu i can get? for lsvtec

well, i'd go with a p28 since it accepts modification easily... from what it sounds like you are going to need a tune. There are a few you can choose from, but someone has to know how to convert them to a p28 pretty much. if you want to save some money, I can see what I can do about hooking you up with a p06 that has been converted to a p28. I can even make sure it has a socket in it for you so all you'd need is the tuner to put in the chip. Although, if you are going with Hondata, in your kit you receive an ECU, so, it depends on what you want to do about the tuning end of it.

I don't think there's a 'most expandable' ecu, but the p28 is most commonly used and as a result have become a bit more expensive. But like I said, there are other 'less expensive' ecu's that you can have converted. I will ask Artie for the full list, but I do know p06 is on that list. I have one laying around.

Got enough money? Why not build a GSR and call it done. :shrug2:

And, you are welcome for the info, but I'm not a man. ;)

Last edited:
hah oh sorry i didnt realize you were a girl
but ya thanks
ya ive been to hondata and i didnt really understand there site
they had like s100 s200 and s300
what does that mean
and where are there complete kits on there site?
thanks again

they'll send you an ecu (usually a p28) that they've already modified, with their tuning software. some people are able to tune the car themselves, while other tuners can tune using it. Artie prefers to tune on Crome because you can use a p28 instead of having to use Hondata's software and their stuff they send, plus Hondata is expensive... almost 600 bucks for the s300. Basically it's just a different program and it's Hondata's software that they developed themselves. Like I said, it depends on what's best for you. I recommend having someone tune it on a program like Crome or Neptune other than Hondata, but I'm biased there. There are happy Hondata customers, too. :)

If you order an s100, it looks like it's just a chip. The s200 appears to be a box you hook up to your chipped ECU, and the s300 is the ECU itself with all their bells and whistles, but reading the description it doesn't say it's an ECU it says it plugs into the ECU. From what I remember of customers bringing it in, there was an ECU in the box, so I am now unsure whether they send you an ECU, but for that price, I'd hope so! Each is said to use their programs to edit fuel/timing. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with Hondata and have most experience with Crome, so I'll be biased against using it.

Perhaps someone with Hondata experience can come in and tell me more about it, too. :)

so i have a 92 integra
what is my stock ecu
and so i should get a p06 and get it converted to a p28?

pr4 unless it's a gsr then you have a pr3. I will have to get back to you on the list of ecu's you can find that are convertable, but the problem is finding someone who knows how. Try to find a p28. If that doesn't work, get back to me and I will have the answer for you tomorrow. There's more than just the p06, but I don't want to list the wrong ones. I think ones from a GSR and type r will work too.

with the hondata you go to an authirised dealer and pay for it make sure you take your ecu that you will use with you and they will sodder it in for free. most of the time if you buy hondata than come back with the ecu like a week later they will charge you to socket it its cost me $40

or you can send the ecu to me and i can return it to you with a socket installed and a chip programmed with a basemap for less than they'd charge you.

Back