ls/vtec head gasket???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell211

i went to install a new head gasket on my car and the dowell pins aren't right on the gasket. do you have to do any modifications to the ls head gasket to make it fit? or did they perhaps sell me the wrong head gasket. it looks correct, except that the dowells are on the wrong side. the one that was on the car has a hole big enough for dowels on both sides. i bought the car, so i wasn't around for the initial installation and i'm a little confused.

use a LS gasket, you have a LS block so the dowel pins should line up on the block unless you got the wrong gasket. You buy the gasket for the block so there is no reason why the gasket should not fit on the block.

here's what up. the dowel's are still on the exhaust side of my head and the old gasket has holes big enough for dowel's on the exhaust and intake sides. my new ls gasket has dowel holes only on the intake side large enough. so, either there is a gasket out there that comes with 4 dowel holes, or my old one has been modified i guess. has anyone ever heard of someone leaving the dowels on the exhaust side of the head for an ls/vtec swap?? i suppose they just milled the head bolt hole on the block out a little instead of doing it on the head and moving the actual dowel? if so, is there any problem with me fileing out the dowel hole on my new head gasket or using a drill bit on it? will it still hold if i do this? any help would be appreciated.

i'll go back by the parts store today to make sure. but, aren't the dowel's supposed to be on the intake side of an ls block. these dowel's are still on the exhaust side of the head.

here goes, i know i have the ls head gasket, i double checked. what i think has happened is that instead of milling out the head, on the intake side to move the dowel pins, whoever put the motor together milled the block instead, to make the dowel's fit on the exhaust side. the head was on the motor until i took it off and the dowel's are on the exhaust side. has anyone ever heard of somone doing this? what's the difference, other than the pain of taking the block to a machinist to have it done as opposed to the head? so all i know to do is to file down the holes on the head gasket (on the exhaust side) until it fits on the head. does anyone know if this will cause the gasket to leak or not? i've never heard of anyone putting a ls/vtec together this way, so if anyone can offer me advice on what's been done to the motor or what is the best thing for me to do, i'd love the oppinions.

hate to seem desperate, but i am. i don't want to ruin the new head gasket if anyone know why i shouldn't try to file it down and i definately don't want to have to pull the head off again, so if anyone can tell me any definate reasons one way or the other on what to do with the head gasket i need to get this motor back together. thanks.

This may sound stupid but did you (or whoever put the dowel pin in) put them in on the wrong side? just remove them and put them in on the side you need? You sure you have the head gasket on the right way?

i can't move the dowel pins to the intake side of the head because the holes in the head haven't been milled out on that side to fit the dowel's. that's the wierd thing, it seems as though they did the machine work on the block instead (unless the dowel pins will fit in any of the holes on the block without machining them out, i don't know i never saw the block before hand), so now the stock head gasket won't fit without modification.

I have a b18a1 with a b16 head you do have to get a 14mm drill bit which is hard to find but you can get one from snap on your best bet and drill out the holes on the other side for your head to sit on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back