ls/vtec Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crzyB16Agirl

I'm moving on from the world of basic b16as and going on to hybrid motors. I'm planning on building an ls/vtec using a b18b block and either a b16a2 head or b18c1.
First, which head would be better?
Second, I intend to drop the motor into a 92-95 hatch, gut it, roll cage, suspension upgrade, etc, etc, etc... I plan on using a t3/t4 turbo on the ls/vtec to gain added horsepower and have this be my "track only" car.
I'll be able to do all the work myself, boring, honing, balancing, you name it. What set up should I use to build the quickest and a somewhat reliable (since money doesn't grow on trees) track car? Type of cams, crank, pistons, etc? Also, what size bore/sleeves should I do?

Thanks for all your time.

Kasey

The B16 head will yield a slightly lower compression ratio but what it comes down to is cost. Get which ever head you can find for cheapest. This will probably be a B16 head. Do you have allthe equipment to do this work?

Cams, pick one that doesn't have too much overlap.
Crank, stick to the LS crank
PIstons, I like Endyn Rollerwave pistons. I have heard good things about the IB Spec Wiesco pistons as well.
Rods depend on your power goals (be realistic here).
If you are resleeving the engine go for a 84mm bore.

I have all the equipment I need to my availability. (taking an engine building and blueprinting class) I'm willing to spend a little more to get better parts since I intend to compete with the motor I'll be building.

by track car do you mean drag racing or road course???

I'm thinking a little of both. I want to compete in 1/4 mile et's as well as road course... Not 100% sure which one I'll end up doing more of.

dude they are literally the same,

B16 head is cheaper but has circlular combution chamber. Also flow charts show a tad, and I mean a fucking tad more flow up high. Same as ITR head but ITR head has obvisouly the cams, springs, retainers, and some type of nitrate treated valves or some shit like that , not sure and a very mild port....from the honda showfloor

B18c head is more expensive, having a wedged combustion chamber and will yield a .2 higher CR over the b16 head and flows a tad more on the middle power range.

Honestly, go with the cheaper one....

Milan

Thanks guys. I picked up a 95 ls block from a friend yesterday and will begin tearing it apart next week to get it ready for hot tanking.
With a future tubo in the plan, I should go with 84 or 85mm pistons, right? I just don't know what size bore to go with before I sleeve...

Sorry for asking so much, but this is the first engine I'm building on my own. Thanks again for all the info.

ls/vtecs are good motors...ive had 3 so far...and i ran all of mine all motor...but u said your looking towards going turbo...i know a kid that has a turbo ls/vtec and that thing halls ass...but im more into the nitrous....just do your self a favor and get your computer chipped...just make sure you have governed redline

Meh i say NA, turbo is gunna cost a good deal of money and for autoX you dont want a sudden bust of power while trying to manuever. If you want a drag car then i say go for the turbo.

Back