Ls Vtec help....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboCivic

468fwhp B21 on 22 psi...
Ok, well lets see I have a Ls Vtec b18a bottom and b16a head in my 94 coupe. I got it in and it was running really good, it was built for turbo so it makes a bit of noise when running, clearances in cylinders, sounds like a diesel. But thats all fine I drove it for a few days and then it died. Well one of my friends forgot to tighten the cam gears and the intake cam went all the way retarded. I re timed the can and it ran good for a day then a the next day I was driving taking it easy and it started to sound like something was slapping under my hood, my first thought was bent valves. I did a comp. test and it was 160psi in all 4 cylinders, I know my comp is really low, like 8.8. But I was wondering if that is still too low comp. numbers. If anyone could help me and give me some ideas without taking it all apart please let me know!!!!

Could it possibly be a rod knocking?? They sound like a slapping noise when a bearing has gone out? Since you have the ls bottom end, you could remove the oil pan and remove the rod caps to inspect the bearings if you suspect that could be the problem. One time the same thing happend when i was tunning a car at the dyno i thought a bearing went and inspected the bottom end after removing the oil pan and everything was ok. So i torqued it all back down to spec. Then I removed the transmission and found that the flywheel had come lose. This will make a hell of a racket, you should check that. If thats what happend the holes in the flywheel get mushroomed out. You will not be able to reuse it or it will happen again. If this is the problem get a new flywheel and bolts and make sure they are real tight!!

Yea, I will do that, the motor has 140 miles on it I just got it back from the machine shop. I hope that it's not bad. It is an expensive motor. anyone else have any ideas just let me know I am going to tear into it this weekend!!!!

Yeah definetly check your flywheel first. The transmission has to be out to no for sure that its not loose. When i took the transmission out of that car nothing appeared to be wrong at first untill I shaked at the flywheel with my hand hard, thats when i discovered it. I wouldnt be surprised if thats what happened.

Back