LS Vtec into an EG chassis and emmissions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thateguhate

LS Vtec into an EG chassis and emissions

Hey guys.. As the title says, I have a B18B USDM block with a 97 GSR head (still @ RS machine):rolleyes: Im looking towards getting my motor BAR'd if possible being CA emissions laws are strict as hell. To a state ref im assuming I will be turned down being the block and head do not match.. How right am I ?? ( heres my reason for actually going LSvtec) bought f***ed up motor..

here that is...
Picture162.jpg

Also heres a list of the mods which will better help you determine passing on my setup. I'm even sacrificing my beautiful ITR valve cover to keep it more inconspicuous..

Even if I can keep everything pretty well hidden to knock out state ref violations if I get pulled over for the hell of it, it would really help.

B18B block
97 GSR Head
OBD2>OBD1
Chipped P28 ECU
Stage 1 blox cams
CP 12:5 Comp Pistons
Eagle Rods
Springs/ retainers
DCsport 4-2 header
Skunk2 intake manifold
AEM Hybrid intake
AEM fuel rail / B&M FPR
Delphi 370cc fuel injectors
Apexi VAFC
Tsudo Catback

Last edited:
wow 12.5 compression!!!!!!!! you better have some good tuning. I dont think you can run pump gas in that thing can you? Also i'm not very fond of the vafc either. i really dont think you need it if you get a well tuning program.I dont know about emissions and crap but i highly doubt they even know what an lsvtec means. hope you get some helpfull info further on man. Good luck.

Taco15 said:
wow 12.5 compression!!!!!!!! you better have some good tuning. I dont think you can run pump gas in that thing can you? Also i'm not very fond of the vafc either. i really dont think you need it if you get a well tuning program.I dont know about emissions and crap but i highly doubt they even know what an lsvtec means. hope you get some helpfull info further on man. Good luck.

haha, yeah I can run it on 91 octane. Track will be a methane mixture :) . Out of the box it will be tuned on a basemap, nothing major since I wont open it up the first 3k miles. After that I'm going to tune with Crome. A guy from a local board offered to do this for me. One of the best in my area.

What I'm questioning is running the car untuned for the first 3k, I cant really cause any damage or detonating without opening it up right? If anything im just gonna run rich as hell haha.

get tuned right after man. I would rather run a little lean thatn rich during the break in. you dont want to wash down the cylinders with fuel. I had the same problem ...well not really a problem. i just couldnt engage vtec due to the stage2 cams. but the base map my friend put in was pefect. ran stoitch and regular dd. He also tuned it with crome. When i came time to tune it and he beat on it for the first time. As soon as as vtec hit i was at like 16.1 something. not good. just get it tuned before and save you the hasle of anything bad happening.

your right.. I was talking to a friend lastnight and he said the exact same thing..

Should I just tow the car out to have it tuned or should it be cool for a 20mile drive to the dyno?

And Ive also been told to pick up a J&S map sensor, It will set back the timing if it senses detonation.

well my friend didnt tune it on the dyno. he hooked up his wideband the extra bung that i had welded. then he hooked his laptop to my p28. took it for a spin on the highway and that was it. we stopped maybe 6,7 times to add fuel. once we got it stoich all throught the powerband it was ready to go. took maybe 30 minutes once the tuning started. you should be fine to drive it 20 miles. just keep the speed steady. my friend actually recommended to breakit in first till the tuning. but pissedoffsol or calesta mentioned its best to do it right away. whichever you choos is fine i guess. just dont beat on it.

oh trust me im not blowin a second motor.. The guy who is helping me with the tune already has it in burned in a basemap from another LSvtec with a 12:5:1 compression but Im running 370cc injectors and he doesnt know which ones the other guy used.. So it should be a pretty fast tune other than figuring out the fuel.

12.5:1 compression on Cali premium is gonna be tough. I am running 11.5:1, tuned, and I still ping slightly at WOT, unless I retard the ignition back a LOT. If you are scared of preignition during breakin, bring your ignition timing back a few degrees at 50+% throttle.

If you are running a chipped ecu, get a datlogging port, and see if someone can street tune your car with crome and a wideband in the first 30-50 miles so you can at least keep it from running lean. I don't know how crome's datalogging interface is, but TurboEdit has a maptrace that keeps track of your AFR's realtime, and a Moates Ostrich will allow you to make realtime changes. If your tuner is as good as you think he is, he should have these tools. I am not even that great a tuner and I have these. Where are you in Cali?

And yeah, You won't even get in the referee's door with an LS/vtec. I'd get a cheap LS head to BAR it with, then switch it after you get it past the ref.

Oh yeah, get rid of that VAFC, you won't need it if you get your car tuned properly. It's just bling for the car show after that.

MikeBergy said:
Oh yeah, get rid of that VAFC, you won't need it if you get your car tuned properly. It's just bling for the car show after that.

thats what im keeping it for really. Show, but in terms of the tuning up there that makes complete since.. It really couldnt hurt to back out on the timing a bit.. Maybe 3-4 degrees even.

i wouldnt go that high with the compression. I'm at 11.3.1 and its fine. no problems. no pinging,and the response from the car is great. very,very responsive. Then again i drive a crx. lol. hell i though 11.8 was pushing it for a DD.

well with backing out on timing i should be ok. I know people with higher compression than this.. I plan on goin all motor, all the way and that really was my only reasoning for doing so.

Plus im not planning on daily driving for more than a few months.

13:1 on pump gas is fun. Hell, my 12.6:1 build ran fine on 92 octane, and tuned with only a VAFC too.

But, no- no way you're going to even start an inspection with a head swap.

20 miles to the dyno should be ok on the base map, but I would still plug in the wideband to make sure you're not running too lean. The first few miles are very important!

Calesta said:
13:1 on pump gas is fun. Hell, my 12.6:1 build ran fine on 92 octane, and tuned with only a VAFC too.

But, no- no way you're going to even start an inspection with a head swap.

20 miles to the dyno should be ok on the base map, but I would still plug in the wideband to make sure you're not running too lean. The first few miles are very important!

fuck that i'm getting a thinner headgasket 12 compression here i come. by the way what gasket did you use thateguhate. I got a felpro 3layer.

Taco15 said:
fuck that i'm getting a thinner headgasket 12 compression here i come. by the way what gasket did you use thateguhate. I got a felpro 3layer.

RSMachine built it and didnt give me the specs on the gasket. They decked the head out for cleaning purposes although I know it raised the compression up a bit more. Not sure if they would compensate it with a thicker gasket given they did this. I tryed calling them firsthand to ask and they dicked me off and didnt wanna deal with a third party call.. friggin blows.

the ref will catch it.. .. i had a header on when i went one time.. the carb # matched, but the part # didnt.. so he failed me..

they get down when inspecting the car.. so goodluck passing an LS/V.. they know the LS doesnt have vtec.. so the VTEC valve cover would give it away

eg6sir said:
the ref will catch it.. .. i had a header on when i went one time.. the carb # matched, but the part # didnt.. so he failed me..

they get down when inspecting the car.. so goodluck passing an LS/V.. they know the LS doesnt have vtec.. so the VTEC valve cover would give it away

Yeah I guess I'd have to know the ref, and pay em off bigtime. Hopefully my registration this year doesnt refer me to a test only station.. eek

Thateguhate said:
Yeah I guess I'd have to know the ref, and pay em off bigtime. Hopefully my registration this year doesnt refer me to a test only station.. eek

goodluck paying off a Ref. .. they can be cool sometimes.. i got away with having the upper timing cover off and i've heard they bitch about that sometimes.. but good luck..

you can always put a LS head back on it, get it BAR'd and then swap it back and when you have to smog again take it to a hick smog shop so they wont know the difference between the VTEC valve cover and LS valve cover, ya know. ..

Back