LS/VTEC or GSR???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRseX84

ok i have been thinking of doing a LS/VTEC swap in my 91 CRX dx. with a GSR head, CTR pistons, and mostlikely SKunK2 head hardware. i was shooting for 11.5:1 compression or somethin near there, now i know alot of people dont like LS/VTEC cuz they think it is junk, but i know if u do it right u can get a great motor out of it. but wich would be faster, this or a n/a GSR with all the same hardware, CTR pistons and Skunk2 Head Hardware?? how much hp would i be lookin at for both, ohh and i am also gona be milling the head and squaring the block no matter wich setup i do. alll ur help is great. thanks peace out

If LSvtec is built right it will last just as long as the GSR, there are many other threads about this so do a search and uhmm go from there...

It comes down to what can you afford and what do you want to do. The GSR will be less work and probably cheaper if you start getting really cool parts for the LSVTEC. But with the LSVTEC you have a reason to rebuild the engine completely so you get a 0 mile engine. With the GSR swap you get some engine that has who knows how many miles or how it was treated.

:withstupid:
Reason why this setup may cost so much, but well worth it.
If you're shooting for 11.5:1 comp, you'll want to use B16 pistons.

LS/VTEC are great engines (i am currently building one for my teg)
BUT
GSR would be my choice...if you could have a complete GSR swap, then get it..

the LS/VTEC is cheapper than the GSR, but a GSR with B16A (P30) pistons, would be very fast, and yield a very high compression.

later.

so if i do the GSR swap, yea i would do the whole motor, and u guys are sayin to use the B16 pistons, by that do u mean the stock b16 pistons or the CTR b16? and how much more HP would i be lookin at if i did the GSR over the LS/VTEC aprox.?? with new SkunK2 head hardware and milled, and a squared block, i would do this for both setups no matter wich one i do.

if you can get the LS/VTEC built right it CAN POSSIBLY yield more HP than a stock Type R(there are a million post and opinions on this setup), and i agree with doing the rebuild to have the 0 mile motor.

ls crank creates more displacement, not much but like ~36cc's more, maybe a tab more power.

If you want to keep you bottom stock then I would more than likely go with the GSR, but an built LSvtec is nice, built properly.

Originally posted by CRseX84@Oct 22 2003, 10:48 AM
so if i do the GSR swap, yea i would do the whole motor, and u guys are sayin to use the B16 pistons, by that do u mean the stock b16 pistons or the CTR b16? and how much more HP would i be lookin at if i did the GSR over the LS/VTEC aprox.?? with new SkunK2 head hardware and milled, and a squared block, i would do this for both setups no matter wich one i do.

the B16 pistons P30, or the CTR pistons....i am not sure how much power you will have, but i am pretty sure it will be close to or equal to a type R, AND if you get the TYPE R cams, you will be faster than a type R......

GSR (B18C1) + B16B or B16A 2-gen pistons + ITR or CTR pistons = faster than TYPE R.....

i am goin to be completely honest, to build a LS/VTEC to be faster than a GSR, you will have to change out pistons.....

stock B18B block + stock GSR head = 9.7:1 compression (slower than GSR)

so some of you are sayin if I go LS/VTEC i will have a motor with 0 miles on it, i see that but if i swap out everything in the GSR that i listed wont that motor also have 0 miles when i am done with it?? thanks for all ur help

If you just go to B16 pistons then no. You would need to get your crank polished, the rotating assembly rebalanced, new rod/main bearing and thrust washers etc...

Originally posted by CRseX84@Oct 22 2003, 01:13 PM
so some of you are sayin if I go LS/VTEC i will have a motor with 0 miles on it, i see that but if i swap out everything in the GSR that i listed wont that motor also have 0 miles when i am done with it?? thanks for all ur help

hell no....there is alot more to just new pistons when you say you have a motor with 0 miles...

all i am saying..if you can get a GSR swap..GET it....

if not then you will have to build the LS/VTEC swap......

please note: if you cant afford a full GSR swap, then you cant afford a swap with a Ls/VTEC built faster than a GSR.

ya hopefully i can get this bad ass deal on this GSR, if i swaped it into my 91 CRX DX would i just use the wiring harness and ecu that comes wit the GSR and then i wouldnt have to deal wit all that wirring crap?? and what is the rotating assembly?? is that the crank??

Originally posted by CRseX84@Oct 22 2003, 03:25 PM
if i swaped it into my 91 CRX DX would i just use the wiring harness and ecu that comes wit the GSR and then i wouldnt have to deal wit all that wirring crap?? and what is the rotating assembly?? is that the crank??

your still gonna have to deal with all the 'wiring' crap regardless, but yeah use the ecu and the wireharness from the GSR. yes it is the crank!

It's not just the crank, it is everything that rotates or oscillates in the bottom end.

Originally posted by chingro+Oct 22 2003, 12:35 PM-->
@Oct 22 2003, 10:48 AM

the B16 pistons P30, or the CTR pistons....i am not sure how much power you will have, but i am pretty sure it will be close to or equal to a type R, AND if you get the TYPE R cams, you will be faster than a type R......

GSR (B18C1) + B16B or B16A 2-gen pistons + ITR or CTR pistons = faster than TYPE R.....

nah man. there is soo much more to an ITR engine than the compression. a gsr with the same compression as an ITR will not make the same power. you've still got a better flowing head, better valvetrain, more agressive cams, better intake manifold, better header and a different fuel map. i'm sure there's more, but you can't say that just by swapping different pistons into a GSR that you'll get ITR power or greater.

please read what i wrote......

GSR with ITR/CTR pistons, will yield a HIGHER COMPRESSION than a ITR motor.

simpley becasue the GSR cylinder head has a smaller chamber than the B16A/B and B18C5 cylinder heads

How much the B16a2 pistons are... and what you have to do in order to change them or it is jest the pistons we talking about...?

Back