LS/VTEC OR LS TURBO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbo'd ls eg

Ok so ive searched this place and cant find straight up answers. so heres the problem

i have a b18b engine complete and a b18c1 complete with a broken rod and hole in the block. i want to either turbo charge the b18b as is, make and all motor with b18b with higher compression pistons, or a lsvtec build. i dont have a whole lot of money and was wondering which would be the "best" and which parts to use?

Well from what i hear (im usually on the H-series side) the LS intake is ass. So replace that with the GSR intake and head and you should be good for something like 35+ HP with that alone.

Im not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of turboing an LS/VTEC, but im sure pissedoffsol or someone will be around soon to answer that.

what car r u putting it in to? goin allmotor ls it's not worth it if is not a hatch. anyways. if you want to build a allmotor ls monster and not worry about the cost, here is a good set up.

p30 piston(jdm si)$150 use
crower 403 cams ($275use)
crower valve train ($250 use)
skunk2 im ($170 use)
decent headers($200 use)
aem intake($100)
chip p28 w/ higher redline($150use)

OPTIONAL
ARP head stud($100new)
block guard($80)
gsr or si tranny($$$$)

this will give you a good 160whp with good tuning. not bad for an ls. drop it in a hatch a you'll fly.

this is the probably one of the top five dumbest questions of the day. Why wouldnt you use the c1 head, and sell the c1 block for money for supplies. I am sure you could get some money for the parts left into the block.

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Sep 25 2005, 06:35 PM
this is the probably one of the top five dumbest questions of the day. Why wouldnt you use the c1 head, and sell the c1 block for money for supplies. I am sure you could get some money for the parts left into the block.
[post=560200]Quoted post[/post]​

Because you're not going to get a whole hell of a lot of money for a c1 block with a hole in it.

Why not do an LS/VTEC turbo?

purchase a set of custom rods and pistons to net your compression around 9-9.5:1 and drop 6 or 7 psi ontop of that?

next question
which pistons can i use with the ls rods and could i just put the gsr head on the block with out worrying about valve clearance issues?i want something thats pretty cheap, easy and reliable. from my understanding a ls is a drop in with no mods to anything for a 1992 hatch.

Originally posted by turbo'd ls eg@Sep 25 2005, 06:53 PM
next question
which pistons can i use with the ls rods and could i just put the gsr head on the block with out worrying about valve clearance issues?i want something thats pretty cheap, easy and reliable. from my understanding a ls is a drop in with no mods to anything for a 1992 hatch.
[post=560206]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you best get that combination out of your head. If you want it cheap it isn't going to be reliable.

by cheap i mean i dont want to spend $1500 on pistons and rods. if i had that much to spend on pistons and rods right now id jus go buy a spoon b18c and have no more problems

Since you do have a '92 hatch, the LS/Vtec IMO would be your best choice. Just go with the Golden eagle LS/Vtec kit, new oil and water pump, and ARP head studs. You have it pretty good since you can just pull most of the parts off the GSR. I would go with new oil and water pumps and timing belt though. Also, the P30 pistons are only like $169 bucks from Hmotorsonline, which'll give you a nice compression ratio for all motor.

edit: erebunicrx found a really good write up on the LS/vtec here.

i was wondering about ctr pistons. i found some hella cheap on ebay. $190 for pistons rings and wrist pins with free shipping

I'm not positive if they'll fit on LS rods. I know someone on here knows though. Good luck!

You will have to have the CTR Pistons notched to the LS rods but it will work and it will give your compression ratio a good jump up. WERD

no they will not just go on to the ls rods but with little modification they will.

i think you shoud sell the whole gsr motor and build a turbo kit for the ls. and save money for some tuning. there are stock ls's making 300whp with proper tuning. you kinda have to know what you want to do with the car before you ask this kinda question. but with a ls turbo you can always go ls vtec turbo in the future and not have to lose anyof your turbo parts.

what about flywheels and clutches? does the gsr flywheel and clutch bolt up to the ls? the reason im askin is because i put a lightweight flywheel and 6 puk semi metallic clutch in the gsr right before it blew

no they wont fit so send them to me since they are trash now :p

Back