LS Vtec pistons....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
A friend of mine is building an LS Vtec motor using a B18B block, with stock crank, rods and pistons with a B16A2 head. I was told that he couldn't use the PR4 pistons because the valve relieve's are not deep enough and the valves would hit the pistons... Is that true. This guy is kinda on a budget, cuzz he blew his 2000 Si..... (threw a rod through the block....) Can someone give me a quick answer so I can let him know. Thanks for everyones help in advance!

PR4 pistons will work if he's running the stock cams. He can't use aftermarket cams with them though because the valve reliefs are not big enough. He can use some stock PR3 pistons though and bump his compression to 12:1. They run really well in my car on 91 octane.

Ya. P30s are good too but they yeild higher compression due to their bigger dome. Might be a little iffy on 91 octane.

i am runing pr4 pistons in my ls vtec ,runs great. but i need cams and vtec tranny. lol Ls tranny makes gears too long.but those piston will work fine. pr3 or p30 would be alot better.

p30+91 octane= friendly
I did them in my old ls/v setup which my brother still has, over 16,000 miles and still running great, just don't advance timing too far or you get ping ping ping :)

I would use the P30s for the higher compression or go with the PR3s; essentially the same but a little lower compression. Too bad it wasn't a 2000 SiR, he could've just used the pistons from that (PR3s I believe).

itr cams count as a stock cam. get into bigger cams lik s2s2's and youll have issues with the valve reliefs

i'd buy arp rod bolts.. just to be on the safe side... im building my ls/vtec with pr3 pistons and arp main studs and rod bolts...... and jdm b16a head with gsr valve train.....

Yeah, this dude is kinda on a budget. I just gave him a B18B1 block with crank, rods and pistons (all PR4), and I'm gonna put it all together for him. Use his B16A2 head and tranny. He ordered the LS Vtec kit from inlinefour.com, so... We're gonna get started today probably. I'm making him pull the engine, and label everything so he can learn some shit too...

Back