ls/vtec problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LKS

ok i just build my ls/vtec motor it has a b18a1 block with a gsr head and i just swapped it in my honda coupe last weekend. Everything starts and works fine but when i drove it around the corner to hear vtec, it had no torque or power once vtec opened out. Like you'll vtec crack loud at 4500 rpm but theres no whiplash/power at all. So its just loud for nothing. Does anyone know what the problem can be?

Vtec isnt supposed to throw you in the back of your seat its supposed to be a smooth transition, yes you will hear it probally not feel it. And why is your vtec so early?
What ecu are you using?

well yeah i mean like theres no power at all, i been through b16 , GSR, and they both pull way harder and there bone stock motors and my ls vtec is fully built from top to bottom. and im running stock p72 ecu

Hopefully you broke in the motor before hitting vtec (500-1000mi) just start from the beginning, leak down test, tune up etc.

man now my motor is blowing out white/black smoke out of the exsaust..could it be the pistons rings are out and that is why my vtec doesnt crack hard cause its losing compression?

Rings or valve seals sounds like a good bet. Like red said did you break it in and let everything seat properly before you started "cracking VTEC."

Back