LS/VTEC problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Somalia757

SOMALIA
Okay so I got the oil changed and took the car home.
Then later that night I hit VTEC and get a cel after the transition so I get off it and stop shut he car off and try to restart and it would turn but not fire. Then I waited a minute let it sit and it started and no cel.
My friend saw a little smoke coming out so in the morning I checked the oil level and it was about a quart over so I took it back and they got it right. Then as I drove it got a cel and started to bog and buck a little bit so I pulled over cut the car off and try to restart and it wouldnt so I wait let it sit and the cel was gone and it drove fine. I haven't drove it again because im not sure whats going on and don't want to mess anything up it seems to drive fine and the motor is strong doesn't seem to have any compression loss.
The oil and coolant are good, no smoke, leaks, or unusual noises; it seems to be fine until the cel light comes on. And its random.
Can anyone help?

ya its still there.. just when your ecu notices something wrong it throws the code.... so when it happens pull the code and see....

go to "Autozone" and let them look the code up on their scan tool, if it popped up, it will be in the history. Autozone will do it for free, don't ever take it to the Honda dealer. Get the code and do some research.

more then likely it was related to either oil pressure or the vtec solenoid. be sure to add the right amount of oil when you perform your oil changes.

Ok I talked to two of my techs and they said pgm fi relay so I going to change it out this weekend and go from there. Anyone have a link for a diagram to show me where the relay is on my 91 ef

before you change it out, the main relay has a habit of developing a dry solder joint. it looks soldered, but it's not making a connection. try opening up the relay and heating up the joint to resolder it. usually that does the trick. search for an article that explains it. they should be everywhere. google is your friend. those things rarely break besides the dry solder joint. never heard of one being shot.

Okay thanks ill try that first ice Been so busy this month with work that this is going to be the first weekend that I can work on the car.I have been starting her up when she decides to and driving around the block. But that's it.

Back