LS/VTEC Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

garacer30

I just did an LS/VTEC swap. Everything is put together and looks great. But the car won't start. The timing is dead on and the firing sequence is perfect. The compression is good and all the right connections are plug into the right places. The car sounds like it wants to start. I have swapped out distributors twice, the fuel injectors, the fuel pressure regulator, the spark plugs and the wires and it still will not start. Before I left the garage today, I tried to crank it and it just pudded and died. There is fuel in the car and the battery and alternator are good. I just put in the head and the gsr tranny. Everything looks in the right place, but it wont start. There is a new timing belt and water pump. I really don't know what else to do. I am at a dead stop. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks and it is really wearing me down. One of my friends said that I would have to reposition the distributor differently and make new brackets for it. I try turning the distributor off the bolt line up points and it didn't do the trick. Please help me and tell me if I did something wrong or something. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :worthy:

Well, I checked the hose connect from the fuel pressure regulator down to the fuel connection and it looks fine. I am pretty sure I have all of the hoses hooked in right. I have gone back and forth from my maintenance manual to the engine checking everything. I did put a JG Edlebrock manifold on it. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Where could there be air getting into the fuel line?

u have it all in timed plus the distributor rotor number one spark plug wire

Have you tested for spark with a plug out of the engine?
Are you sure you are getting fuel?

Naah it's not air in the fuel line. If you prime the pump a couple of times it'll be fine (just turn on/off ignition a couple of times to prime it) I would first check each plug for spark by removing it and ground it while someone cranks the car. If you've got spark then most likely it's a fuel problem. Now when you've been cranking this thing for awhile do you start to smell fuel? If so then atleast you know fuel is reaching the chamber. Another way to check is to pull a sparkplug out after you've been trying to start it and see if its wet with fuel. If there's no fuel, then check to see if you can hear your fuel pump priming when you turn on the ignition.

So check for spark and fuel and let us know.

Okay. I checked the firing sequence, and it was all out of wack. I guess the book was wrong. Dumb publishers. So, it's working fine now. Wired the Vtec and it runs like a beast. Thanks for all of the helpful info. :D

damn, what book were you using? maybe you were looking at the pic of the other distro?

Back