LS/VTEC RELIABILITY ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

intense1_4u

I have known a lot of people wha had them , So I just built one.
I am NOT gonna race it . I just want a Quick driver.
Are there any problems besides the RPM issues in racing??
Cause I wont get it over 7000 RPM..

Its all in the build. If you built it up well, and you don't over rev it you'll be fine. Its a honda engine it will burn a lil oil down the line, but it will go forever if you take care of it.

the only issues with the engine is r.s issues and spun bearing occassionally - but you will find spun bearings any where- also will find the people who had bad experience with ls vtec had bad experience all around - not the motors fault more there fault

i did 2 of them and hated both of them also there are no oil squiters on the rods also the vtec head holds alot of oil

so spun bearings and fryed oil pumps

Originally posted by brian11to1@Mar 22 2005, 09:58 AM
Do it right the first time you'll be ok.
[post=477035]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

you say you won't be revving above 7000, so you shouldn't have any issues beyond what a normal LS is capable of handling.

yes go with what the stock ecu is set for and your most likly going to be fine( if built right **once again**) people do franks all the time and they last/die you will have better luck with this motor than some bull shit junk yard selling you a motor - yep its good get it in and has a spun bearing or worse -- imo

Why wouldn't you rev it over 7000 rpms? That's the whole point of getting the vtec head, rev higher and make more power. Build it right and rip it to 8-8.5k rpms and stop being a pussy.

The people you know that have had them proly had no clue what they were doing, they just did it to be cool. They also probably had 200k miles in the car, which is not good, so of course it's not going to be that reliable.

i still say no i am a certified tech and built them for friends still break

built the block with itr pistons block guard shimmed the oil pump

head was b16 and had crower springs retainers and itr cams

still fucked up in less then 500 miles

LAST THING I SAY IS VTEC HEAD HOLDS ALOT OF OIL AND LS BLOCK HAS NO OIL SQUITERS FIGGURE IT OUT EINSTEIN

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Mar 30 2005, 10:48 PM

built the block with itr pistons block guard shimmed the oil pump

LAST THING I SAY IS VTEC HEAD HOLDS ALOT OF OIL AND LS BLOCK HAS NO OIL SQUITERS FIGGURE IT OUT EINSTEIN
[post=481003]Quoted post[/post]​

Why don't you learn how to type before giving engine building advice lol. Oh and I would stop building engines for your friends if you couldn't put together an LS/Vtec that would run more than 500 miles.

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Mar 30 2005, 10:48 PM

built the block with itr pistons block guard  shimmed the oil pump

Sounds like you dont know how to build them, or your friends are revving them too high too soon.

did you check all clearances? oil feed from the block?

Originally posted by Eviloliv3@Apr 5 2005, 10:52 AM

Sounds like you dont know how to build them, or your friends are revving them too high too soon.

did you check all clearances? oil feed from the block?
[post=483174]Quoted post[/post]​

Doubt he knows anything about anything.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I have the thing in my car, it runs great.
This is what I have

95 B18B Block
91 SIR Head B16A, 4 Angle Valve Job (MINOR PORT)
00 SI intake B16A
91 PR3 Pistons (Hand Polished Domes)
95 LS Rods (ARP Bolts)
95 GSR Oil Pump
95 GSR Water Pump
95 P28CPU Chipped with a Skunk2 (it Did make a big GAIN difference over stock ECU)
Ill keep you informed on how she does

yea i was gonna say.. not over 7k rpm?? dont bother building it.

i had no problems with my lsvtec. anyone who can't get it to run past 500 miles more than one time has issues

My is still going 10K+ rite now!

Its all in the build man. Build it rite and it lives, build it wrong and it dies!

Simple rite?

yea i know nothing thanks guys you are full of shit oh well

i would rather have a b18c 1 or 5

and yea i checked clearances plasti guage is your friend all new bearings

you still cant tell me the vtec heads dont hold a lot of oil and thats why honda built the vtec blocks with oil squiters

ls block no oil squiters even then i shimed the oil pump for higher oil psi and still a peice of shit

you guys do what you want i am just putting in my 2 cents so thanks and drive thru

you are retarded. the only thing the squirters do is spay oil on the bottom of the pistons to help with cooling, but the block in no way needs it.

many people have built long lasting lsvtec engines. if all the ones you built didnt last, it was your fault.

my friend has an lsv that has over 50k on it ! general maintanance yes, but thats on any car. B18c this - lsv cost less than 1/2 that if you can do it your self! more money for some thing to stomp a b18c !

Back