ls vtec setup... looking for good tune or advise...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stock'sLS/VTEC

I just finished my fully built ls vtec.... and I am wondering if crome will be a good choice to go with for a tune? and I was wondering how much a good tune would help? these may seem like dumb questions but I am trying to get some advise from someone with experience using crome, or other systems... I dont want to spend a ton of money on a EMS:eek: I am currently using a jdm p30 ecu! Is it worth getting a test pipe?

2.0 L w/ GSR b18c1 head
Bored
Stage 2 port n' polish
performance 1mm over sized pistons
headers
intake
exhaust
pulleys
stage 2 cams
skunk2 tuner series valvetrain w/ titanium retainers
skunk2 cam gears
new ITR valves(sam as GSR)
70mm throttle body
Blox intake manifold
3 angle valve job
milled only 10/1000's
VAFC
skunk2 short shifter
fuel pressure regulator
JDM p30 ecu

How much whp should I pull? and 1/4 mile time? at sea level
icon7.gif

**** O and am I completely screwed if I did not replace the rods or bolts??? ****

Last edited:
your not completely screwed if you didn't replace the stock rod bolts just don't rev higher than the stock ls redline you will be fine and yes a tune would really help its well worth the money to get it tuned.

Yes, Crome is fine. RLZ uses Crome, and has some high-hp cars. They also tuned my cousin's LS/VTEC(GSR head)...all it had was bolt-ons and Wiseco 11.5:1 pistons. They were able to make 175whp with Crome.

I dont know they may have been replaced... I have always reved in to 8600RPM's and never any issues... So I dunno... what are some consequences! O and how much does a good tune cost?

how long does it usually take to tune? and another question... I am running a jdm p30 ecu, is that okay? it seems that my car is running really rich.... I cant get the smell to go away!

It depends on the tuner, could be 1 hour could be 5.

The P30 is probably having issues trying to compensate for extra fuel. I'd get a basemap to be on the safe side, then go get it tuned ASAP.

so you mean I should go get a gsr eu... p72, and do you think it will be hard to sell my ecu?
icon7.gif

Blanco, you seem very knowledgeable, but whenever you reply to people or "post" it seems that you are being very rude... give me the advise but please save the attitude bcuz not all of us are genuises... and we all need help sometimes...

So about that ecu?

I'd stop driving it until I could afford to tune it.

I've never understood why people will spend so much money building an engine only to waste it by driving it untuned.

I agree on that one. Anytime something goes funny with my car and I'm not sure if its going to harm anything I play it safe and take it off the road just to be safe. A tune is one of the best investments for your car I spent to much time and money on my car to have it blow up.

I have done so much research its ridiculous! and out of all the research I did the only thing I did not hear or see about was the rods and rod bolts... The only thing I am needing help on is tuning and if I should use a gsr ecu instead of the jdm p30 I am currently running?

I have done so much research its ridiculous! and out of all the research I did the only thing I did not hear or see about was the rods and rod bolts... The only thing I am needing help on is tuning and if I should use a gsr ecu instead of the jdm p30 I am currently running?

Seriously? Did you not read what Blanco said?

You need to stop driving the car and get it tuned! It doesn't matter which ECU you go with, because your tuner is going to chip it and custom tune it to your engine setup anyway. All that matters is that you use an ECU that's chip-able and tune-able (either the P30 or the GS-R computer will work fine for this), and that you go get it tuned, ASAP.

Hey I'm doin an ls vtec myself. I've been doin so much readin and research as well. Ls vtec has no limits!! There's a lot of different combos to go with. About the rods and bolts, keep ur rods. But change the bolts so u can swing the motor up to 9k. You goin to make the power in the high end. I hope you changed your oil pump and water. pump. I'm still learning, so feel free to give me some tips or even ask me for tips. I jus keep readin everyday. And for an ecu I suggest goin with a p28. You don't have to worry about the knock sensor and they are easy to come by. Way easier than a p72. Oh, by the way I'm new on here.

Seriously? Did you not read what Blanco said?

You need to stop driving the car and get it tuned! It doesn't matter which ECU you go with, because your tuner is going to chip it and custom tune it to your engine setup anyway. All that matters is that you use an ECU that's chip-able and tune-able (either the P30 or the GS-R computer will work fine for this), and that you go get it tuned, ASAP.

thanks Mr. house... and how do I leave rep?

Last edited:
Hey I'm doin an ls vtec myself. I've been doin so much readin and research as well. Ls vtec has no limits!! There's a lot of different combos to go with. About the rods and bolts, keep ur rods. But change the bolts so u can swing the motor up to 9k. You goin to make the power in the high end. I hope you changed your oil pump and water. pump. I'm still learning, so feel free to give me some tips or even ask me for tips. I jus keep readin everyday. And for an ecu I suggest goin with a p28. You don't have to worry about the knock sensor and they are easy to come by. Way easier than a p72. Oh, by the way I'm new on here.

For sure... I replaced everything except the rod bolts... but the guy before me may have changed those...I have always reved mine to around 8600rpm's and never any issues...

thanks Mr. house... and how do I leave rep?

Underneath people's avatars, there's three little icons. The first one tells you whether they're online or not, the second one (looks like a little silvery tree thing) is for rep, and the third one is triangular looking with an exclamation point in the middle.

You just click on the person's rep icon, and a little screen will pop up where you can approve or disapprove and leave a comment.

not trying to be a thread bandit or anything, but I have a question relating to this. How hard is it to learn to tune your own car and is there a piggy back system or is it better to go stand alone on something like this? I know it's not too bright to go into something this big and try things on your own but I want to learn and I am stock piling all expendable parts so I can play with this stuff before I do my serious build. I am building a crvtec for my car but don't plan on putting too much into it because I am picking up multiple motors so I can drive it in the mean time. If I just do the b16 head on the b20z block do I still have to tune it? I'll probably be running just about stock everything except for oil pump, exaust and maybe skunk2 im.

I only pushed 205 whp...:( I was honestly expecting more but its all good! I run 12.8 's on the quarter.... and I only tuned my VAFC... The performance shop said that the VAFC will be fine for my NA setup, but I am saving for an AEM

I'd stop driving it until I could afford to tune it.

I've never understood why people will spend so much money building an engine only to waste it by driving it untuned.

I agree, but what I see more often than that, is them not breaking the engine in. Granted, you figure around 500-1000 miles on no torture or high rpm. But these days, people do not even break the rings in. This guy around the block just put a built gsr in his hatch, and the second he started it (with a chipped ecu), 1st gear, rips it to 9k with a huge smile on his face. I laughed. Good way to tank an engine in 2-3 months.

Yea... correct me if I am wrong, but don't they put a load on the engine and hold it there for a certain period of time?

Back