ls/vtec the right way.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cfwthb_94

Everyone is putting down the ls/vtec as being unreliable on other forums. So since everyone is putting there two cents into the situation, how come no one tells of a way to make sure that there reliable and built right. So my question is what exactly needs to be done to make the ls/vtec combo a good motor. and what is the best vtec head for the swap.

i've never personally seen a unrealiable ls/vtec but the best head would be a type-r head. if you cant get that then the b16a head would also work nicely.

just get the b16 head, as they flow almost equally as well as a type r head, and are a dime a dozen. The reliability of an LS/vtec comes mostly from building the bottom end the right way, not from what top end you put on. Read some of the threads that are already on this site about ls/vtecs, there is no need to start a new one. And also look in the reference section that is on this site.

the thing that really gives ls/vtechs a bad name is the oil squirters in the ls block they are not as big as in a vtech block so you don't get the right amount of oil as you should for high rpms thats why people say you should build the bottom end insted of using stock parts because of the heat.

so if i put decend forged pistons and rods, maybe a block girdle. to start off with then proceed to build the top end with new valve springs, retainers and a stage two cam. then i would be ok. And does anyone know of any info on how to determine the injector size to added modifications.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LS motors did NOT have oil squirters. "GSR hatch" is saying that they're just "smaller"...

Originally posted by scottp11@Dec 13 2003, 02:57 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LS motors did NOT have oil squirters. "GSR hatch" is saying that they're just "smaller"...

you are correct, gsr hatch is talking out of his ass.
you can take your block to a machine shop and have them tap into the oil passage in the block and add some gsr squirters, i don't think it is totally necessary though.

The squirters are not the reason everyone bitches about this engine gsr_whatever is wrong. The squirters are not necessary.

Ls blocks do not have oil squirters......Because they dont have Oil squirters is not the reason they are claimed to be "not reliable"...
Ls/vtec is reliable depending on how it is built...if u cheap out...expect some problems.....a well built ls vtec will last as long as u want....

Just because u have a vtec head on your ls block doesnt mean u can automatically rev to 9000 now...and because people dont realize this is one reason problems...poorly taped oil holes in the head..is another reason...Do your research and you will be good...ls/vtec can be done on a budget...but on a budget doesnt mean cheaping out...

Back