Ls/Vtec timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wat up guys, need a little help here!!!!

I have an ls/vtec motor that i just cant get the timing correctly....it's a b18b block and a gsr head...im using a gsr water pump and t-belt, type r oil pump, and adjustible cam gears set at 0 degrees... the motor is at TDC and all the markings on the crank and cams r on point....when i start the engine it seems to be retarded and dont know why...i have to advance the distributor about 10degrees in oder for the engine to run good. does anybody know why this is happening... i did some research but dindt find much... the only thing i found out is that vtec engines have slightly different timing than non-vtecs, and i read this in a magazine, dont know if is tru or not... does anyone know how or why this is
happening??? and if so should i advance/retard the cam timing or anything???

Please guys any input will be appreciated!!!!! Thank u !!!!! :mellow:

im building the same set up here.... i don't know y ur car is doing that.... if you find out, keep us posted.... i dont wanna go nuts when i get that engine all together.

im thinking about doin the same exact thing with my ls but i got a b18a not b18b if anyone knows the answers to the problem please leave a post

Wat up guys, need a little help here!!!!

I have an ls/vtec motor that i just cant get the timing correctly....it's a b18b block and a gsr head...im using a gsr water pump and t-belt, type r oil pump, and adjustible cam gears set at 0 degrees... the motor is at TDC and all the markings on the crank and cams r on point....when i start the engine it seems to be retarded and dont know why...i have to advance the distributor about 10degrees in oder for the engine to run good. does anybody know why this is happening... i did some research but dindt find much... the only thing i found out is that vtec engines have slightly different timing than non-vtecs, and i read this in a magazine, dont know if is tru or not... does anyone know how or why this is
happening??? and if so should i advance/retard the cam timing or anything???

Please guys any input will be appreciated!!!!! Thank u !!!!! :mellow:

what pinion gear did you use for the oil pump? i believe the ls one has less teeth than the gsr one, therefore timing would be off. i know that the ls crank pinion gear has 17 teeth but i dont know about the gsr or si pumps. i'll have to check with my friend...

does anyone have a gsr oil pump that can count the teeth in it for us?

Yeah guys.. Im using an itr oil pump and gsr 22 teeth water pump along with gsr t-belt... Im also using itr cams... the markings on the cams and crank r on tdc... dont know wats going on I havent use a timing gun but i think the problem might be with the cam gears i used... they r some cheap ass ebay cam gears... im going to try using some AEM gears that i have and see wat comes out of that... I'll keep u guys posted.... thanks guys!!!!!

try advancing the intake 3 degress and the exhaust negative 3 degress.. or its the other way around.. try that.. i cant remember what way it is...

dont use cheap cam gears!!!use honda cam gears to get your car running right first they are the best then change them of u really want to

if you put it to factory and the timing is right (with a timing light)then you know that your motor can in fact be in time.or u can just not buy cheap shit off ebay!!if you build your motor with ebay parts its prob not gonna last very long.there is soooo much crap i see come into my shop off ebay!!!dumb ass people buy crap and expect it to work like the real shit.you get what u pay for!!if it looks to good to be true it isyou cant get a good set of cam gears for 50 dollars!!if u deside to buy that shit you need to know how to set the cam timing up without the timing mark indacators.(tdc your motor and set your cams up by looking at the lobes not the markers )the cheap cam gears are almost allways one tooth off which can make a difference of making

dan.jpg

Ok guys i found the problem. it ended up being those cheap ass cam gears that i bought on ebay... they r vision motorworks just to let u guys know dont ever buy that shit!!! the markings on it were 1 teeth off wich is about 10 degrees +/- . anyways i got a pair of AEM true time cam gears... so i put them on and yes guys this time i did use a timing gun... i put the crank on tdc, gears at 0 degrees, markings on gears lined up correctly turned it on and it was perfect... then i used the timing gun to set the ignition timing correctly... now the car is running how it should!!!! anyways thanks guys for all the help now the car runs awesome!!!! (-: (-:

Thats whats up!

Remember you get what you pay for, its true just spend that extra dollar and get well known parts that you know will work.

Back