ls/vtec turbo help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pastman

hello i have just purchased a honda del sol it has a b18 block and a vtech head the vehicle runs and idles good the only problem is when the vehicle hits about6k rpm or about the time vtech kicks in it falls on its face almost as if there is a governor. if i hold the accel pedal to the floor it will accelerate good to 6k rpms then surge if i continue to hold pedal down. the vehicle is equiped with a zex nitrous kit. which i have not used yet. the fuel injectors are RC550 cc. i am unable to scan the vehicle due to lack of cables. im just wondering if theres something people are doing to enrichen fuel with nitrous present and im running real rich under high rpm's or if it could be an ignition problem or possibly a vtech issue turbos max pressure is 7psi it hits 7 psi steadily before power is lost. any ideas would be appreciated.

IS it tuned for the turbo, spray and larger injectors? If so what is it tuned with?? I personally would pull out the no3 kit and sell it for funding parts. Be sure it is using a correct ECU or tuned not a base map or flash. I have seen "chipped ECUS run motors like total ass then I put my Hondata on it and it runs nice. Since it has had spray I would also do a compression test to make sure the motor is still sound. Once you get it all back to a stock condition it will be easier to fix and more reliable. Check to make sure Vtec is hooked up correctly. I drove my LS Vtec for a day without Vtec hooked up on my LS tune and it ran just like the it did with the LS head and reved to the limiter set at 7200rpms with no issues. So I dont think Vtec is not kicking in.

Look at the numbers on the factory sticker should say something like 12345-P28-123 for example if it is a P28. I would not trust what someone wrote on it. It does not need to be a P28 but it does need to be OBD1 and 5spd Vtec can be added to a none Vtec ECU. Being OBD1 conversion there is no real way to pull codes. Is the CEL on? With out seeing the car which is impossible the best thing IMO for you to do is bring it to a turner that knows Hondas and have it checked, make sure you have the proper sized injectors, be sure it is really tuned and not just some half a$$ed chipped ECU or "street tuned" by "Joe Blow". If the injectors are RC they will say RC on them and IMO 550cc for boost and spray even just boost is a bit small. I would go at least 750cc or better 1000cc. As I said sell the No3 kit just increase boost and get tuned, you need to have it checked by a tuner anyways. Really sounds like a tuning issue but again with out any codes and the car to look at I can say for sure,

What year del sol do you have?

It has a p28 ecu then it should be an obd1, make sure it's chipped just open it up. You will see socket with 28pin chip.

Since it's obd1, you can pull codes by using the "service plug" Passenger side.

the car doesnt have the factory dash so i have no cel visible but i actually decided to take a look at the sparkplugs and they are actually showing lean so i started looking harder into vaccum/boost leaks and noticed my #4 injector seal allowing vaccum past i just orderd a seal kit and will install them today. could this be the issue or just something that needs fixed. i did find the service plug i belive its a three wire blue connector but working in a gm shop myonly three wire plug is for a tracker and i cannot get it to function but im guessing i hve possibly a lean code of some sort. with vehicle running lean for so long im thinking the 02 sensor could possibly be faulty as well

without having it tuned with just a scanner hooked up(if i can find one) will i beable to tell if my a/f raito is ok thru rpm range or is that something u need tuning software too see? idk much about obd 1 does it diplay fuel trim or even an a/f ratio parameter?

there is no "lean code". You can't determine spark plugs color at idle, there is no load. You will have to have a wideband a/f gauge to determine your a/f.

Tip: Get yourself a paperclip and put it on the service plug, I don't care if the dashboard been change unless someone took off the cel light it should still be there.

I have a feeling that your running lean at wot, I suggest not running that thing until you get it tuned.

YEah no lean codes for OBD1. The only way you can see AF it with a wide band no scanner can read AF only O2 sensor signal voltage.

Back