1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LS Vtec Turbo Question

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Specc, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Specc

Specc Junior Member

If you are replacing the pistons / rods anyways.... what is better for turbo ..b18a /b16 head or just a full on b16 head/ block.... someone said that LS vtecs have serious issues turbo being they have no oil spitters for the pistons... any truth ? i have no idea

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

The oil squirters aren't really a factor, especially if you get forged pistons. If you run a large bore engine (like 84mm) , you'll just have to block them off anyway. A B16 head is better for a boost than a non-VTEC B18A head. Compared to the GSR B18C head, it's not as good- but you're literally splitting hairs between the two heads unless you start talking about the quench pads and the additional .2:1 compression you can handle if you run the GSR head. Get the GSR head if you can afford it, run a B16 if you can't. Both behave very very well under boost. Do get GSR cams though.

3. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

Vtec heads are just better for everything that is performance. Period. Not that you can't do well with an LS head, as I am doing well with mine, but the advances made with the vtec head will surpass anything an LS can dish out. And ditto to mikes comments regarding the gsr head. It's the best if you can get a good deal on it.

4. phunky.buddha

5. jimboburgess

jimboburgess Go fast, Go Cheap

unless you are going full race, if you plan on never running your engine below 5k rpm then just get a giant cam and port out the head. for 95% of people the vtec head is better though

6. phunky.buddha

Yeah, so just go back through and read my original set of posts. :p

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted