LS VTEC vs. B20VTEC(((((HELP))))))

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mouse323

I'm a noob with imports, and I need help on choosing what engine to go with. I havent really seen any of these engines in action, just on youtube:). I've driven a B20 stock and liked the way it was running. But I would like a faster car. I have a 93 EG and I wanna swap the engine. So my questions are:
What would be better an LS Vtec or a B20 vtec?
Which one is cheaper to build? (money doesnt really matter, just for my personal info.)
What are the specs of both engines?

Also I've noticed that most cars with a swap are missing their A/C. This might be a stupid question to ask, but like I said I am a noob. Is it really necessary to remove the A/C to get a swap?

the price difference is minimal. imho, if you are going to spend the money to build a b20 or ls vtec, you might as well just buy a gsr swap. otherwise, i would just get a solid b18b ls engine and instead of building vtec, i would just turbo it. i just dont' like building stuff for all motor unless thats the class i'm competing in. otherwise you will just spend a lot of money to go slow.

there are 3 reasons people don't have ac
1) the car didn't come with it to begin with
2) they are ricers who think they will add 3411513435 hp because it's not using power
3) they didn't want to spend the money on the proper mounting bracket for the AC.

Im with 95b16coupe on this one. Boost a stock ls.
this is probably the first engine build you've ever done, and an ls vtec or b20vtec is not a wise first build. Start with a turbo setup and get familiar with engines, then if you want more later on, rebuild for more power.

The thing is I dont want to go turbo. I wanna keep it engine only. Cops are asssholes where I live and they stare down for just driving an import, theyll find any reason to pull you over. Thats the reason why I rather not turbo. Also this car is gonna be my daily driver.

if you insist. id do a b20vtec if i were you, slightly more displacement, and it can make some decent power if done right.

What would be the average specs of a b20vtec? I know it depends on how you built it, but I just wanna know the average so I have an idea.

You can expect to make slightly more than a stock gsr would, depending on the head you use and what mods exactly

If I use a B16, what would be the rev limit?
At what rpms would the vtec switchover?
What about Hp and Tq?
Would there be any major changes if I use a B18?

If I use a B16, what would be the rev limit? rev limit is arbitrary. it depends on the build and doesnt' matter regardless. it's simply a number that can be adjusted at any time. not a power factor.

At what rpms would the vtec switchover? again, an arbitrary number. you need to understand what vtec is, how it works, at what it's for.

What about Hp and Tq? bone stock b20vtec probably 140whp and 110tq. results will vary.

Would there be any major changes if I use a B18? changes in what?

your questions are pretty standard and have been answered a million times. your best bet, like said before, is to just get a b16 or b18 into the car first. you don't have any experience wrenching and busting your knuckles yet. you definitely wont be able to build an engine. read through some of the old build threads and faq's and you'll get a lot of answers.

Alright, you do make good points, I will take your advice. Some time during the future I'll post up what engine I went with. Thanks.

Back