LS/vtec with cams or LS turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

downtothetens

Ive been pushing my mind on whats a better set up...i have an 00 integra ls...as of now ive been very set on makin it a vtec yet i am having a few problems finding a decent head with all sensors and parts but plan on setting it with a b18c1 head with skunk2 stage 2 cams...i also was recently told by one of my friends that the turbonetics turbo kit is very nice and powerful...i use the car for everyday driving and run it at the track every other weekend and im set on about a $3000 budget...ne1 have ne opinions which would b the more powerful and preformance aimed yet reliable set up?

Last edited:
You could just turbo it and run low boost on the street and when you get to the track bump the boost up. At low boost I think you still have a reliable street car, look at gti's and mr2's. Their turbo cars that are very reliable at low boost.

you can run ~8psi and have a very reliable car and if you keep your foot ff the pedal and out of boost you have a streetable car til that damn mustang pulls up next to you.

for 3000 you should be able to get ls/vtec and put a turbo on. provided you can do the work yourself.
I had ls/vtec b16 head pnp with gsr cams, with b16 pistons, b16 tranny, i/h/e, 62psi fuel, p72 ecu in my civic coupe and on the dyno put down 203 WHP, ran very high 13's at the track. The only downside was had to run 93 octane plus booster to keep it from pinging (11.3:1 CR)

If you have to run 93 + octane booster to keep from pinging at 11.3:1, something is very wrong with your tuning.

To the original poster- if you want to drag race, just turbo the B block.

High 13's. My buddy has an almost stock gsr in his hatch with a type-r tranny and ran 13.1-13.3 on drag radials.

If you have to run 93 + octane booster to keep from pinging at 11.3:1, something is very wrong with your tuning.

To the original poster- if you want to drag race, just turbo the B block.

yah, the problem with my tuning was a stock ecu, no tuning capability, I had my timing advanced a little too far too, either way, she ran like a raped ape, still would if it was in a car.

yet what setup truly gives u more options and workablity...i also have to down grade myy budget to 2200 dollars so im starting to think of do a vtec conversion, plus new cams and maybe a new set of valves and rockers b.c ill most likly only b able to find a worked in used b18c1 head...it seems as if im more or less being pushed away from the turbo set up

If you do a vtec with a set of cams you should deffinately change out springs and retainers. The new cams will allow you to make power higher into the rmp range but your factory equipment isnt strong enough. Your stock springs wont be able to pull the valve back at high rpm and it will float causing problems if the valve hits the piston.

yah, the problem with my tuning was a stock ecu, no tuning capability, I had my timing advanced a little too far too, either way, she ran like a raped ape, still would if it was in a car.

Gotcha.

yet what setup truly gives u more options and workablity...i also have to down grade myy budget to 2200 dollars so im starting to think of do a vtec conversion, plus new cams and maybe a new set of valves and rockers b.c ill most likly only b able to find a worked in used b18c1 head...it seems as if im more or less being pushed away from the turbo set up

Either setup gives you a lot of options. You'll make more power overall with the turbo setup with that budget, but you'll have a more driveable power curve going all motor. You still need to tell everyone what kind of driving you want to build the engine to do. You can realistically put together a nice turbo setup for drag racing if you really want it for your $2200 budget if you know what to look for.

Back