ls vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pelekeliko

i have a 96 LS. I have purchased a 97 GSR head and what i think is everything i am going to need to do the complete swap properly.

I purchased a P72 ECU, will i be able to keep my stock distributor?! will it fit onto the 97 GSR head?

and sorry if this is a dumb question but, can someone explain what the knock sensor is? wat it does? do i need to purchase one?

thanks in advance.. please remember i am new to imports and swaps!

im not trying to shoot you down, or bash you. but if you dont know what a knock sensor is, you should not try ls/vtec. there is more than you think. you must have your Ls blocked tapped for the sensor, and run a oil line to your head, ect.

oh no its all good. but i have a buddy that is helping me out with the swap, he has been working on cars for a living for about 6 years. but like i said new to imports. i purchased the golden eagle conversion kit, got the head bolts, got the ECU, all the new belts, and water pump. so its kind of late now to change my mind. i have read up as much as i could before i really dedicated my money and time to the swap but recently (as in today) the whole knock sensor came into play and i was like OH F***. cus i thought i had everything i needed and was ready to go. thats the only reason why im curious. but i will really appreciate all the help you can give me bro!

ok, your knock sensor is obviously in the back of the block. not the exact location im having a brainfart, but "most" shops, will tap your block in the correct location for the sensor for like 50-75 bucks. so you insert the sensor, run the wires to the correct pin on your ECU. then it sounds like you have everything to do it..

now what belt did you get? there is a certian belt you must use with your head. in turn, you must use that waterpump also, ones like a 18teeth pully, and the others like a 24 teeth, hell i cant remember right now. ill have to double check.. but besides that, it sounds like you have it all.. now are you changing pistons too? or just slapping a head on? i think P30's are the most common people use for there N/a lsvtec. there higher compression, but with higher compression, you have to start upgrading fuel and getting it tuned.

you will have to add your 3 wires for Vtec, get on Honda-Tech.com (im not trying to advertise for them) but i know for a fact there ARE TONS of write ups with pics about Lsvtec/Crvtec. one of those will get you all the exact information you will need. many people advise getting a new Water pump anyways, just b/c your in there, and its easy to get to, and cheap. that way you wont have to be tearing back into it when your water pump goes out..

Back