ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blick2319

i"M building an ls/vtec i have a 90 ls bottom wth a 2000 gsr head. I want to get new rods and pistons. What the highest compression i can run on reg. 87 pump gas. Also what rod and piston combo will give me this compression thanks.

on 87 pump gas? i guess like 9.5:1 - 10:1? why 87? that cannot be the best gas you have there. use your stock rods and pistons

Originally posted by blick2319@Nov 30 2003, 08:44 PM
compression i can run on reg. 87 pump gas.

there is no pistons that would be worth doing with a cr low enough for 87, i would never even run a stock b16 or gsr on 87 let alone anything built, on 91 you could go up to 12:5:1 with proper tunning, but a nice spot so you don't have to retard the timming to much is about 11:5...

Originally posted by B16@Nov 30 2003, 09:05 PM
on 87 pump gas? i guess like 9.5:1 - 10:1? why 87? that cannot be the best gas you have there. use your stock rods and pistons

:withstupid:

there is no pistons that would be worth doing with a cr low enough for 87, i would never even run a stock b16 or gsr on 87 let alone anything built,

:withstupid:

89 is only about $.10 more per galon ($1.00 more per tank) than 87
91 or 93 is generally only $.15 - $.20 more per gallon ($1.50 - $2.00 more per tank) than 87

is that really that big of a deal???????

Originally posted by blick2319@Nov 30 2003, 09:33 PM
I heard that ls pistons can't hanlde the high rpm of the gsr though is that true?

This is not true.

87 Octane is TOO cheap for better pistons or rods...If you treat your motor good...YOUR MOTOR WILL TREAT YOU GOOD... :)

ok so i'll run better octane. but i would still like to know what piston and rods i should run to get a good tunable compression in a 90 ls bottom with a 2000 gsr head. I dont' knwo how to calulate that he compression will be.
thankyou for your info though and please help me asap if u can answer this!

thanks and what rods? should i just use stock ls with arp bolts. I wasn't going to replace them but i dunno what kind of condition they r in and i dunno how much it would cost to see what condition they in by a shop so i thought maybe it would be cheaper to just buy new ones. Please tell me what u think

Back