LS Vtec :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

intenseneal

It has been awhile since I have been on here.I am finally going LS Vtec. Picking up a B16 head sometime tonight. I have a 98 Civic HX with B18b1 swap, IHE and P28 chipped with Hondata. Making 133whp and 127lbs. The plan is to get 180whp.So im my quest for 180 na I decided that Vtec is a must. Started with a stock JDM B16 head that will get stage 2 cams and maybe type r springs. What cams and springs should I go with??

Cool thanks. Now I have lots of ls vtec swap questions. My head and intake are for a JDM OBD0 Sir. So I have no evap solenoid on the intake cause the JDM one is on the firewall I think. Hoe do I make my B18b evap stuff work on the B16 intake? Do I need to get a USDM 99-00 Si intake manifold? What about the PCV that is on the valve cover on the B18b? it is on The block on Vtec motors. How do I get that to work? I know all my fuel stuff, TB and dizzy will work off my B18b so thats no problem. Will my Ls throttle cable work? I know I need a B18b head gasket and B16 head bolts and Ls Vtec kit. A GSR water pump and timing belt for reliability. If anyone can help or give me advice that would be great. I am not a newbe, I am a ASE tech did my own motor swap and wiring. This is just my first LS Vtec conversion.

for the evap just make a vacumm port in the intake or get a newer intake. and on the b18 block you have there should be a plug where the emissions box should go into so get one of them and run the pvc through that and up to the intake on the obd0 it should have a spot for it. the distributer wont work from the b18 you will need a obd0 or obd1 housing with a obd2 wiring replaced in it. and i think you will need a b16 head gasket I know my brother uses a gsr head gasket on his b20/vtec. get a type-r oil pump and water pump will need a timing belt to match it. I am pretty sure this stuff will all work for what you need..

You dont want to use a Vtec head gasket, you can have oil leak from the block. The B18 dizzy will work you just need to cut off one of the mounting tabs to clear th Vtec solenoid. Thanks for the info on the pcv. I will try to find a 99-00 si intake.

you can use the older intake you just gotta modify it to work. or if you do get a newer one then get the valve cover to match it so you dont have to change the pvc. and the dizzy yeah i forgot you can do that but i thought the timing was different in the two. the head gasket you probably are right on that.

Confirmed as a 99-00 B16a2 intake. The head should be the same. It is stamped PR3-4 I think it was dont have it in front of me.

Will the B18b intake manifold bracket work on the 99-00 B16 intake manifold??

^ yeah I just would like to have it Honda designs car pretty well and if they put it there it must be for a reason, yes I know why they put it there. So took apart the B16 head today in prep for the machine shop. Like half the valve seals are leaking, 3 of the cam cap threads are damaged. But I can fix all that. I saw a bit of wear on all the rocker arms. Anyone have a pic of normal Vtec rocker arm wear. My LS rockers had like no wear, very little. Cams looks in good shape. Looks like the dowel hole have been drilled for LS pins, it was used for a ls Vtec before. Oil feed it already there but the oil supply hole in the head was not plugged, weird. Going to do a light P&P myself before sending to machining. Getting some titanium retainers to put on. I would like to find some valve springs. Should I just get another set of intake valve springs for the exhaust? Intakes are dual and exhaust is single. Would this be good for stage 2 cams??

Last edited:
Ok well head and intake mani are for a Del Sol Vtec or a JMD SiRII. Intake mani is stamped P30 92-95 Del Sol Vtec part number is P30. Head has had LMA upgraded to H22 LMAs! The head has been used for a Ls Vtec already, hole in the head for oil has been wielded closed and oil supply line fitting is in place. I also scored a 93 GSR Valve cover for cheap. After taking a better look at the rocker arms the wear looks normal, no deep wear marks just polished.
No one has any info on the breather box of ls vtecs or what upper PS pump bracket to use??? Or about the valve springs?

From my knowledge, in terms of power steering brackets the GSR upper bracket and B18B upper bracket have different part numbers. But their lower brackets are the same....so that means (from my best assessment) the part that attaches to the bottom end is the same but the part that attaches to the head is different. Since yours is a B16 head...i would look for the JDM B16 set up (maybe hmotorsonline.com can help) but the GSR might be fine.

Hondafreak513 told you that ITR valve springs are good for stage one cams. Or run some performance company's dual springs. Or run stocks if you are only reving to stock rev limit of 8100

Breather box? Are you talking about the intake pipe/filter? What's the chassis?

^ yep. Looks like I need to drill a vent hole in the back of the block and install a OEM breather box or an oil catch can to hook up the pcv.

you shouldn't have to drill a hole there should be a plug there. if you have a newer motor then the pvc goes in the valve cover and the breather box is elimanated. but since your doing ls/vtec then i would just put a catch can in the car and not worry about the breather box, you will need a better venting system for ls/vtec.

Last edited:
^ Bisimoto what??
Talked to Chris at Hasport today, I love the fact they are local. He told me that a PCV is not needed, minor oil burning thats all. He did not run one on his B20 Vtec and had no problems. I will get the endyn breather when I have more money after the swap and tuning is done. I have more questions and will post a thread for them but will ask here to. Who out there has a Ls Vtec using the Ls water pump timing belt and oil pump??? I really dont think these are a must but Hasport and my tuner SRD told me they are a must. I just want to see if anyone has had good results using the Ls parts. I know the GSR stuff is better to go with but I will only be reving the motor to 8k.

you can keep the ls oil pump but you need to change the water pump to a gsr and use the gsr timing belt due to the head being a bit taller you will need to get a water pump with a extra tooth. ok i forgot you got a b16 so use the b16 water pump and b16 timing belt

Last edited:
Back