Lsd Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OldSchoolSwap

I had a JDM Y1 cable with factory LSD in it. My joints kept on breaking in shreads every other month or so every time i would turn. Left or right. I couldn't pin point witch was the weekest spot (left or right) but the point is, that it kept poping my axles.
I got fed up and got me a good buy on my friend's USDM S1 teg tranny. After i swapped trannies, it never gave me this problem again.

I do miss my LSD for weekend drags. Is there any way to repair this? Is it a common problem?
I have it sitting in my back yard screaming at me every time i work on my car :(

maybe the motor is not mounted correctly? what car/motor are you running? the factory LSD should not be so strong to wreck axles like that.

Originally posted by B16@Mar 3 2003, 09:05 PM
maybe the motor is not mounted correctly? what car/motor are you running? the factory LSD should not be so strong to wreck axles like that.

Yea,if the LSD was ripping axles why would they use it?Had to be something else.

An LSD tranny will typically be easier on the axles, since it balances the power out between both sides. With an open diff, you could very well have one tire sitting still and all your power going out the other side- it's more stressful that way.

The LSD tranny was acting as if it was a welded dif, not alowing one side to spin faster than the other when turning corners, witch can explain the ripped joints.

Keep in mind that after installing this "non LSD" tranny, the problem has gone away!

The motor is mounted correctly with PlaceRacing mounts and the car wouldn't have anything to do with this issue that i know of. But here is my car and set up http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Yikes Old School! I was going to get me one of those Y1 LSDs for my swap. Should I just go with an S1 or J1??

Originally posted by 88LXi68@Mar 4 2003, 05:11 AM
Yikes Old School! I was going to get me one of those Y1 LSDs for my swap. Should I just go with an S1 or J1??

Get the LSD you'll be happier,no doubt.

Look guys, i'm not saying that LSD sucks, or that OEM LSD's suck. All i'm saying is that this perticular one that I have is giving me problems.
I bought it used and i don't know what was done to it before. I did notice some silicone around the casing, indicating that someone was in there before, so who knows!

Back