LSDs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 23 2005, 11:17 PM

1- D16A6 is a bit different from B16A, the trannys are not the same and the OEM LSD only came on the ZC black top that would fit your D-series tranny (with SOME work)

2- If you're going to get a B16 and run 87 octane in it, stop now and keep your 1.6 SOHC. The SiR engine requires 91+ octane fuel due to high compression.

3- JDM LSD from a OBD-0 Integra? Or are you thinking of a SiR2 B16A? (OBD1 or 2)

4- LSD is NOT traction control in the snow. It takes power from the wheel that is slipping and applys MORE power to the wheel that has GRIP. Snow & Rain will NOT make this better, only worse.

5- ABS for grip? What does Anti Lock Brakes have to due with gripping the road?

My suggestion - Sell the CRX and buy a Subaru AWD.
[post=465480]Quoted post[/post]​

1- The B16A only has a compression ratio of 10.2:1, not exactly high compression.

2- first generation jdm B16A came from jdm CRX SiR's, so i'd was looking at getting a jdm oem lsd from a CRX SiR. Not obd-0 integra and not SiR 2 B16a, FIRST GENERATION is what i've always been saying.

3-LSD DOES help traction in snow:

"The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions"

from http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

4- ABS hels you stop thus helps you grip, PERIOD.

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 24 2005, 12:17 AM
1- D16A6 is a bit different from B16A, the trannys are not the same and the OEM LSD only came on the ZC black top that would fit your D-series tranny (with SOME work)

4- LSD is NOT traction control in the snow. It takes power from the wheel that is slipping and applys MORE power to the wheel that has GRIP. Snow & Rain will NOT make this better, only worse.

1- My Si has an OEM LSD tranny from a JDM D15B (I think, will look it up later)

4- For regular, non-race style driving, LSD does help in driving control in the wet and the snow.

5- My Si and teg have ABS, and in certain emergency stopping situations in the wet, my cars stop straighter than if I was in a skid with my wheels locked up.

For the money, Honda OEM LSDs are an excellent choice for cars that are not dedicated race cars. The OEM LSD trannies for the D-series are rare, but usually sell in the $300 to $500 range. The CTR/ITR LSDs by themselves for the B-series are in the $375 range.

I've lived all my life in New England, and still see no need for an AWD car. FWD and four good snows tires like Nokian Hakkis are really all I need. If the snow is that bad, my beloved cars stay in my driveway. At that point, it's not a matter of me sticking on the roads, but being fearful of the other drivers. However my AWD dream car is a BMW 325xi wagon with an M3 engine dropped into it. :p

And speaking of Subies, last summer saw a guy in a new WRX wagon at autocross break his first gear on a hard launch. What an idiot.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Feb 24 2005, 05:19 AM
1- My Si has an OEM LSD tranny from a JDM D15B (I think, will look it up later)

[post=465522]Quoted post[/post]​

You said Si, but what model do you have? e.g. Civic, CRX, Del Sol, etc.?

Edit: nm i just read your footnote. Only problem is i don't think i'd be able to use a lsd from a D15B cuz the trans is hydro, Rex's use cable.

Originally posted by Panther550@Feb 23 2005, 07:36 PM
i read somewhere that Quaife type lsd's break, eventhough i've heard a lot of good things about them.
[post=465343]Quoted post[/post]​

Show me where you read that Quaife LSD's break. I am guessing you read it wrong or the guy was just lying. You not going to find a stronger diff and Quaife LSD's have a lifetime warranty. I know one person that had a 600hp drag car that ended up busting 2 of them at the track. He sent it back both times and they replaced the diff no questions asked.

OEM lsd's are better than nothing, but if your going to boost it's not going to hold the power. I wouldn't go out of my way to get an OEM tranny that comes with an lsd. If your car is a daily driver I would look into a Quaife.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 24 2005, 01:53 PM
Show me where you read that Quaife LSD's break.  I am guessing you read it wrong or the guy was just lying.  You not going to find a stronger diff and Quaife LSD's have a lifetime warranty.  I know one person that had a 600hp drag car that ended up busting 2 of them at the track.  He sent it back both times and they replaced the diff no questions asked.
[post=465680]Quoted post[/post]​

Buddy, if you read my post again where I said that I read that Quaife LSD's break, now you see the website link that i left below that? That's the Site!

Edit: Ok so your friend "broke" 2 Quaife Lsd's, but "no" they don't break???????

600 hp breaks just about everything. your basic b16 swap will NEVER break one. ever.
and for some god aweful reason that it does break- return it for a new one. lifetime warranty owns.

and to answer your question, SiGal has an EG si hatchback with the d16z6 and a jdm tranny w/ oem lsd.

Originally posted by Panther550+Feb 24 2005, 03:08 PM-->
beerbongskickass
@Feb 24 2005, 01:53 PM
Show me where you read that Quaife LSD's break.  I am guessing you read it wrong or the guy was just lying.  You not going to find a stronger diff and Quaife LSD's have a lifetime warranty.  I know one person that had a 600hp drag car that ended up busting 2 of them at the track.  He sent it back both times and they replaced the diff no questions asked.
[post=465680]Quoted post[/post]​

Buddy, if you read my post again where I said that I read that Quaife LSD's break, now you see the website link that i left below that? That's the Site!

Edit: Ok so your friend "broke" 2 Quaife Lsd's, but "no" they don't break???????
[post=465688]Quoted post[/post]​

Okay I read that and it gave no examples and said nothing specific about a Quaife LSD breaking. It was just some guy's opinion on that "type" of LSD.

I gave an example of the guy I know with the 600hp drag integra (ran 9.0 flat). He had troubles with it locking up or something like that and they replaced it no questions asked. A lifetime warranty and great customer service was the reason I gave that example (a few reasons why I bought mine). I don't think he "broke" it because he was running too much horsepower, he just had problems with it locking up, this was also liek 3 years ago. Go ask anybody that has a high horsepower drag honda and I am sure they will say they are running a Quaife, they are known for being the strongest diff you can buy.

Your not going to find many people that have broke a Quaife either. You will however find many people that have broke everything else inside there tranny, except the Quaife. I broke my shifter forks and I called Quaife to make sure I don't need to send it in to get inspected before I put it into another tranny, they said no. They also told me there are a lot of high horsepower cars that run their diffs and they blown trannys all the time and just swap the Quaife into another tranny and go racing.

Originally posted by Panther550+Feb 24 2005, 01:35 AM-->
AllMotorMonster
@Feb 23 2005, 11:17 PM

2- If you're going to get a B16 and run 87 octane in it, stop now and keep your 1.6 SOHC. The SiR engine requires 91+ octane fuel due to high compression.

3- JDM LSD from a OBD-0 Integra? Or are you thinking of a SiR2 B16A? (OBD1 or 2)

My suggestion - Sell the CRX and buy a Subaru AWD.

1- The B16A only has a compression ratio of 10.2:1, not exactly high compression.

2- first generation jdm B16A came from jdm CRX SiR's, so i'd was looking at getting a jdm oem lsd from a CRX SiR. Not obd-0 integra and not SiR 2 B16a, FIRST GENERATION is what i've always been saying.

3-LSD DOES help traction in snow:

"The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions"

from http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

4- ABS hels you stop thus helps you grip, PERIOD.
[post=465494]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, first off, you need to get your facts straight.

The First generation B16A came in a 1989 Honda CRX SiR and IS OBD-0 not OBD1 or OBD2. It uses white plugs instead of gray ones AND 10.2:1 compression NEEDS 91+ Octane fuel to work properly, otherwise the Knock sensor will activate constantly and you'll lose power.

If you really think a LSD is going to help you in the snow, have fun accelerating.

As for ABS, I was talking about HOW does ABS help you gain traction in the snow or rain for that matter under acceleration.

There was NO mention of brakes on this thread, thus the question was asked why ABS?? NO 88-91 CRX ever had ABS, so why even mention it????

Also on the matter of broken LSD's (quaife or otherwise)

I know LOTS of SCCA guys that have broken LSD's. Clutch or Helical, doesn't matter.

When the power shifts from side to side there is a chance of the LSD snapping. Even on stock engines. I've seen it happen more than once. Helical is less likely to break over clutch type.

Originally posted by Panther550@Feb 21 2005, 01:54 AM
All right honestly i don't know a whole lot about lsd's, all i know is that they're supposed to bias power between the drive wheels, they help cornering, and help driving on slippery conditions. But which ones are good. I've only found 3 for CRX's:

ATS metal 16 disc
ATS metal 20 disc
ATS carbon
Kaaz
Quaife

I looked at ATS cuz i know they make a lot of high quality stuff and the carbon lsd is supposed to be to super quiet. And i heard people on this site talking about the Kaaz lsd's. And i looked at Quaife because it doesn't rely on friction plates to bias the power. But what kinds of experiences have you guys had with your lsd's or what would you recommend.

Note: I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where it snows like 6 months out of the year, and then it rains another 3 months out of the remaining 6 months in a year. Plus the CRX doesn't have ABS so i need something.
[post=463714]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok panther, smart guy... last one..

Since the CRX NEVER came with ANTI LOCK BRAKES

Where in your original post, ANYWHERE does it mention you need better brakes???

Why does ABS help you with anything that you mentioned before?

e.g. - You want LSD to help you with traction control, but how does having a LSD in your tranny help you stop better like an ABS system would??

See my point? You make no sense.

You are trying to make an arguement about why you need a LSD when you yourself don't even understand what the ABS does. Otherwise you would never had said

"I need a LSD because my CRX doesn't have ABS"

Does that make any sense to you? Anyone else out there understand this?

That would be like me saying "I want more power, but my wheel bearings are stock"

It just doesn't make sense.

Sorry I'm so winded today, you lit a fire under my ass....

Your statement "LSD helps in cornering" is absolutely ON THE MONEY!!!!

If you want a LSD for your D16 CRX, you have options.

You can get aftermarket like you mentioned, or you can get the OEM version from a 88-91 black top ZC engine. These engines had an OEM LSD option, they are a bit hard to find, but they are out there. The 92+ OEM LSD will NOT work in your cable case.

IF you decide to go with a 89-91 B16A OBD0 engine/ecu swap. You CAN find one with a OEM LSD option. Again, they are a bit hard to find, but they are out there. Usually they were found in the 90-93 Honda Integra. Or you can get the aftermarket version from a few different companies.

Lastly, compression of 10.2:1 would require you run at least 91 octane fuel for optimum results. The lower the octane number the faster the burn, thus causing detonation. You can remedy this by backing down your timing or letting the ECU and knock sensor do it's job, but at that point, your just losing power.

There's my input. Take it for what you want, or don't.

Either way, I'm done with this thread.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 24 2005, 03:14 PM

I gave an example of the guy I know with the 600hp drag integra (ran 9.0 flat). He had troubles with it locking up or something like that and they replaced it no questions asked. A lifetime warranty and great customer service was the reason I gave that example (a few reasons why I bought mine). I don't think he "broke" it because he was running too much horsepower, he just had problems with it locking up, this was also liek 3 years ago. Go ask anybody that has a high horsepower drag honda and I am sure they will say they are running a Quaife, they are known for being the strongest diff you can buy.

Your not going to find many people that have broke a Quaife either. You will however find many people that have broke everything else inside there tranny, except the Quaife. I broke my shifter forks and I called Quaife to make sure I don't need to send it in to get inspected before I put it into another tranny, they said no. They also told me there are a lot of high horsepower cars that run their diffs and they blown trannys all the time and just swap the Quaife into another tranny and go racing.
[post=465716]Quoted post[/post]​

I appreciate the further incite, thanx.

Alright.

First I wasn't trying to compare LSDs and ABS as being the same thing, I wasn't. I was simply saying that they both aid in traction control, and since Rex's don't have ABS i was looking for the something to help keep my car on the road during slippery conditions.

And i don't understand why you say it would be hard to accelerate with an LSD in the snow when Quaife says on their website that their LSDs do help in slippery conditions???

Also when I said that I wasn't looking at a OBD-0 Integra, i wasn't saying that the B16A wasn't OBD-0, I was just saying that it's not Integra.

I didn't mention buying better brakes because i didn't think better brakes would reduce the chance of my brakes locking on icy roads.

I think that's it.

Back