LSVTEC build opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IntegralTendencies

just wanting some opinions on lsvtec build since I have kinda limited funds and need to make some important decisions on making the engine last as long as possible.....in aspects to the block I've heard many a suggestions on how to build it....I will be using p30 pistons on eagle rods with arp bolts as for the main bolts they will be arp also....is it intirely neccesary to have or a good idea to use b18c main caps and girdle or will the b18b's hold up and about balancing the bottom end better investment than rods and such or definant must have.....everything is going to be put together to factory specs and it will be a daily driver only revving to 7.5K or 8K max occasionaly.....your advice is great appreciated :worthy:

Regarding the block girdle it's a good thing to have, and will significantly stiffen the structure of the bottom end, but if you are on a budget, it is not necessary. Definitely balance the bottom end though. and get a vtec oil pump as well. The ls one is not going to cut it.

Originally posted by IntegralTendencies@Aug 29 2004, 11:13 PM
just wanting some opinions on lsvtec build since I have kinda limited funds and need to make some important decisions on making the engine last as long as possible.....in aspects to the block I've heard many a suggestions on how to build it....I will be using p30 pistons on eagle rods with arp bolts as for the main bolts they will be arp also....is it intirely neccesary to have or a good idea to use b18c main caps and girdle or will the b18b's hold up and about balancing the bottom end better investment than rods and such or definant must have.....everything is going to be put together to factory specs and it will be a daily driver only revving to 7.5K or 8K max occasionaly.....your advice is great appreciated :worthy:
[post=383377]Quoted post[/post]​

im gonna keep this simple.
From the looks of it, you arent looking for a block to really compete in. just something that will get you around town for everyday driving and still be fun to drive.

skip on the eagle rods: not necesarry if you are just using for mainly daily driver. sotck rods can rev to 8K with no problem.
UPgrade to GSR oil pump
Use honda bearings only
all the LS stuff like girdle is fine. i believe that the z10 stuff and anything else if overkill. our 700-800 hp engines are holding up with stock cranks and girdles. no need for switching them around.
balancing is always good on any engine build.
an ITR or CTR piston is an inexpensive way to gain compression and great for the street as well

good luck

Wil

Um, the LS engine does not have a girdle. That being said mine has survived 8000 RPM for three years just fine with out one. The Eagle rods are probably more than you need, you could just shotpeen your stock rods but the extra insurance of a good forged rod is nice. If you have the money go for it.

that, and itr/ctr pistons won't fit LS rods.

go to JDM p30's. They offer the 2nd highest CR (behind the CTR's) and will "press" right on to the stock LS rod/wrist pin

Back