Lsvtec swap problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my swap is an obd2 but i converted it using obd1 wireharness...do i need to run resistor box with my 680 cc low impadence injectors? i believe the injectors are obd0

CEL on? CEL bulb work? You should have absolutely no CEL to make this such an ordeal.
You have a very sensitive set up being LS/VTEC...then its turbo'd on top of that.

If you have no CEL....toe it to a tuner to dyno it and take all the different ECU's and injectors

okay i think i finally figured it out..i changed the distributor and the car seems to be running fine now....a tiny lag but car seems to pick up pretty fast..but maybe my lag is cuz i have low impadence injectors and need to run a resistor box..

i hooked up resistor box and car ran like crap..so i'm running it without resistor box...so my problem now is that the car does run fine when i drive i casually but as i give it full throttle by gasing all the way down...the car will lagg and not want to pick up..but it does drive fine casually..

If you want to vent...cool. But if you want help...please address what I asked. If you are running around with a CEL and are posting on here without checking the code...its just stupid. How was the dizzy bad without a CEL????

You should not be removing anything from your car to help it run. Its worse then putting a band aid on a cut that is infected....just silly.

with my base map ecu it has no CEL at all..but with my p28 ecu my CEL comes on for O2 sensor only...i run my base map with the 680 injectors and p28 with stock gsr injectors..they both run the same but CEL on for p28 with O2 going off..

Your other ECU eliminate the need for an O2? I would look into a new O2 but I don't think this is the root of the problem. But fix it still....I hate guys that chop crap out and think its all good.

i got the o2 hooked in now and yeah..it's not the root of my problem...no more CEL though...i'm just out of ideas of what the cause of my lag could possibly be..

okay so my car still lags. I put a gsr map sensor and using a stock p28 ecu. Car runs fine but when i give it more gas it lags and doesnt want to pick up speed. Doubled check everything, pistons are fine, timing, hoses wiring. only thing i still need to do is hook up o2 sensor and change my stock fuel pump. But i doubt O2 and fuel pump would be the cause right? Really need help.

Sounds like bogus basemaps, cut j1 in the ecu and run the engine off the stock p28 maps until you can get a real tune. Up your fuel pressure a little bit though...being a boosted engine, iy sounds on the real lean side to me. Do a plug chop

Last edited:
yeah..okay i think one reason my car laggs is cuz i bought the ecu chiped for a 650 cc high injectors but im running 680 cc low injectors..thats why when i connected the resisitor box the car ran shitty cuz my ecu is for 650 highs...as for the fuel pressure i cant up it cuz i dont have fuel regulator..since im planning to go tune soon im not gonna get one...

okay well i've done what most of you guys told me and it helped me out a bit..now i'm gonna refresh and tell you what my problem is and im gonna be specific about my set up and update what i've done so far.....set up: Stock gsr head,ls block with gsr pistons, gsr tranny. i bought motor from a guy and i never took it apart..the guy took off head and cleaned it and sold me motor..droped in motor, put on skunk2 manifold,67 mm throttle body, ngk spark plugs and wire, timing was off and we did it to the best we could cuz pully was soo bad we couldnt see the timing marks...slaped on t3/t4 turbo kit, put in walbro fuel pump 680 cc low injectors without resistor box, ecu is a chiped p06 with base map of 650 cc high injectors,10 lbs boost, got 3 inch pipe exhaust, gsr map sensor, gsr tps sensor...fuel regulator is at 38 psi and vaccum is at -20 psi , car has been slaped together and not tuned yet...this is my set up...now..problem...my car drives fine for a while and then car laggs..doesnt bogg or anything..when i give full throttle car wont pick up at all...i cannot use resistor box on my low injectors because my car laggs while driving casually with the resistor box..but with it off my car drives fine when im driving casually....so im just reminding everybody what my set up is and problem..but thanks for your replys cuz they helped..but not enough to get my car running right..so i still need help so put more opinions if you got some..thanks..

yeah..okay i think one reason my car laggs is cuz i bought the ecu chiped for a 650 cc high injectors but im running 680 cc low injectors..thats why when i connected the resisitor box the car ran shitty cuz my ecu is for 650 highs...as for the fuel pressure i cant up it cuz i dont have fuel regulator..since im planning to go tune soon im not gonna get one...

turbo and no reg, first mistake rite there.

I really dont know enough about injectors (difference from high and low as an example)

But its a t3/t4 turbo on 10 lbs....this may need a slightly bigger injector then the OEM GSR ones but you
could get away with stock ones and a good tune of the air/fuel and timing tweaks (manually and through ECU)

I'm guessing these injectors were off other cars/set ups. Did you have them re-calibrated and checked?
I would try to get things back to something more mellow in fuel delievery until you can work bugs out
and get that thing tuned. You have a un-reliable frankenstein motor....then its turboed too. Thats red flags
for tuning and makes me think you shoudl first do something about the timing of the motor. Get another
crank pulley to put on there if these marks are gone. What have you found out about the timing needed?

well i'm using my bigger injectors and everything has been recalibrated and checked already..the marks are still there on my stock pulley but its harder to see which is the acutal marks cuz that pully looks like its been through alot cuz theres a lot of marks on it so it was hard to tell..but i think we got the timing pretty good..

okay so i think i solved it..it was the wastegate..i was missing the little washer looking thing, i put that on and my car runs good now..but my car has been bogging alot more..my car sometimes idles back and forth at under 1 grand and goes up to like 1.2-1.5 grand and car feels like its gonna shut off..but sometimes it idles good and stays at 1.4ish...

what do you guys think about boosting 9 -10 pounds on a t3/t4? but i'm using usdm gsr pistons..i've seen people tune it at 10 pounds with stock internals on a gsr and they're safe...the most i'd plan to do like 2 runs back to back, and like one run at the tracks just for time trials...i've heard and seen peoples opinions about boosting 10 pounds but i wanna hear from you guys about this..

...also i cant get my boost controller to work that's why i might go 10 pounds off my waste gate...i dont know why my controller isnt working..

does anyone know where i can get a banjo bolt that connects to the brake feedline and the caliper? i broke mine and i cant find any of those bolts at any auto stores

Back