Lug stud is spinning in hub

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spiritofjosh

know your role!
As the title says I can't get the lug nut off my eg because the wheel stud is stripped and is spinning freely in the hub. I can't get the hub off with the wheel and I tried using pliers, vice grips etc on the inside of the hub but it won't hold strong enough. I tried drilling through the lug nut and got to the beginning of the stud itself but now the lug nut is just split at the end. It won't snap off either.

Any ideas?

i tried that and it just split the lug in 4 "folds" and i can't get it further towards the actual stud. Its a real bitch.

I took the brakes off while the wheel was still on to expose the back of the stud but i couldnt get a tight enough grip on it to get the lug off, if i had a welder id just tack weld it to the hub but i dont know anybody with one.

anybody think I can just cut through a flat side of the lug nut with a sawzall? bc then i can pretty much just peel it off the stud, i dunno how much that would work though.

If you can, try to wedge your chisel between the hub and the flange on the stud. Thatll put pressure against the stud and wedge it in the bore. Then you should be able to turn the lug.

does any body know if you can tighten them tell they break?

They can break but I don't know the threshold of the stud and it may damage the wheel(though not serious).

I tried wedging a chisel, big flathead screwdriver and anything similar between the hub and stud with no luck either, i really tried everything, im gonna try a torch.

Have you tried an impact wrench? Use something to hold the stud as you did before and see if it can be "zapped" off.

If all else fails. BFH. Big Fucking Hammer. Smash that bad boy till something gives. If nothing then atleast you took alot of anger out.

Thanks everyone, I'm about the disintegrate the whole car until nothings left but the hub and wheel just for the satisfaction of being able to get the stud out...and not have a car haha. But really I'm gonna keep trying what I can even though its getting pretty hot for Jersey already.

i like the impact idea maybe you can get a wrench on the back of the stud..... i think they are square right.... would that work???????

if you can put pressure on the wheel so that it's pulling on the stud; maybe that'll help too(when using an impact).

Got access to a dremel or small grinder? If so, grind off that big end (hub side) of the stud until it's small enough to pull out on the lug nut/wheel side.

ok so i got the stud out with a steel punch thing and a hammer and just broke the threads out of the lug by hitting it after drilling a hole through half of the inside of the lug nut and half the lug stud to give it room to break.

Now does anybody know where I can buy another front hub? The hole for the stud is stripped now and I can only find bearings online.

Back