lug stud

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondadude199

I was doing a front brake job today and I go to take the passenger side wheel off and snapped one of the lug studs, what is the cheapest and easiest way to fix this?

thanks in advanced :worthy:

You only need 3 !!! My buddy rolls with his front passenger wheel with only 3 studs. His car was in an accident and it messed up one of them, everybody including honda and les schwab told him 3 was fine !!!

But I don't know how you would fix it, can you just buy another stud ? call honda !!

If your ride is anything like my old 87 CRX beater then you can change them yourself. The car had about 3 of them break off while I had it and I just fixed it myself. Autozone/Advance had the parts I needed and all that. I just used a Haynes manual to go buy. If I remeber right (like 4 years ago) the hardest part was beating the old lug out. The studs and lugs are only a couple bucks,wd-40 and some beer and you should be set. make it a morning job man. Hell, if I was able to do it then anyone should be able to.

Iv'e broken 3 on me 89 CRX. The problem is getting the old stud all the way out. It ends up hitting the main hub when you knock it through. The trick is to get an angle grinder and flatten one side of the "head" of the stud. This allows the stud to sneak past the hub assembly. find an old hub with good studs, do the same thing and transfer the new stud into your working hub. It only takes like 15 mins and it beats buying a whole new assembly. My $.02

Hell I don't remember getting all that techincal when I had to do it. I just removed the whole thing from the car and then If I remeber correctly hit it till it popped out and then knocked a new one in its place.

Then you just got lucky or your hubs are different from mine, which is entirly possible. :unsure:

there should be a hole at one point on the backing plate there...

simply spin the wheel until it is lined up with the broken stud, then ban the pissing out of it to get it out.

then, use a double nut on the stud to tighthen it back into the hub.
take both off, put wheel on :)
lather, repeat if desired

if at all possible press it out instead of banging it out (much easier and less destructive) then reinstall as pissedoffsol describes

Back