LyveMyche's 95 Civic Build/Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LyveMyche

Swollen Member
LyveMyche's 95 Civic Build/Swap *Lots of PICS*

HELLO!
Well first of all, my name is Myche (pronounced Mike) and This is my Civic...

IMG_0600.jpg

There are many civics like it, but this one is mine. This is my daily driver.

IMG_0603.jpg

Really not much in the way of mods other than the 16" Neepers. They were on it when I bought it.
Anyway, Inspired by Andrews engine swap, I decided I wanted to build something new for my civic, given the fact that this engine has roughly 150K on it and it has been doing the typical Honda oil burning smoke thing. Not terribly bad though, only going through about a quart each month. So I was slowly trying to decide what to build when all of a sudden... It started running rough and slinging oil...

IMG_0606.jpg

It leaves one of these every time I turn it off now. Apparently what is going on is it leaks oil (either out of the cam seal or crank seal) while its running and fills up in the timing belt cover and slowly leaks out when you turn it off... It drips for a few minutes then stops. As for the running rough... It isn't too bad to drive if you don't have much driving to do. But it is losing compression on #1.
So needless to say my nice slow, take your time build has become a little more urgent.

oldd15.jpg

This is it currently...

D15tag.jpg

Yes I know its sad to be losing such a beast, a pure "POWER" plant as this :rolleyes: but... what can you do?

Anyway the purpose of this thread is to show you what I am doing so that maybe someone can learn from my mistakes (as I expect will be plentiful), and to bounce ideas off you and ask questions. If you see that I'm about to screw up, or do something wrong or have the wrong stuff, by all means say so. I can take it, and any input I receive is greatly appreciated. I am totally new to this civic stuff and do not by any means claim to be an expert of any kind (as I will soon demonstrate). All I know about this stuff is from research I have done online and by asking questions. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

So... Having said that... Lets move on.

Last edited:
I saw this pic on Andrew's thread and thought this was just beautiful...

sohcvtec.jpg

I mean it is. Originally I wanted to this exact thing... But after some checking around and looking for parts, this is what I have come up with so far...

The ShortBlock Arrives....

shortblock.jpg

One JDM B16A

b16atag.jpg

This engine came out of a right hand drive civic. I hear (from several sources) that it was boosted and set up incorrectly and ultimately smoked a piston. The cylinder was not messed up bad at all so I figured WTF... and Now its mine.

So I took it apart...

dismantled.jpg

Everything looks to be in great shape except for the pistons. All the bearing srfaces show no abnormal wear... The crank looks great...

crank.jpg

BUT...
This is the Roasted piston...

badpiston1.jpg

Really did a number on that one. Amazingly did very lttle damage to the cylinder wall though.

This is what the rest of the pistons look like. See how the area between rings is coming apart? They are all like this, but again all the cylinders arent bad at all.

otherpistons.jpg

Last edited:
I have also acquired this head:

GSR1.jpg

from a 97 GSR...

gsrtag.jpg

So... What do you think so far?

Klyph... I don't plan to fool with boost because that is something I just cant afford at this point in time. And furthermore, thats just more shit for me to tear up. I suppose what I really want to do is build something that is a daily driver, thats pretty quiet and unassuming... Until I drop a couple of gears and stomp it, then I want it to get up and come alive, so that whoever messed with me will go "Oh damn! I shoulda left that alone..." BUT... most importantly, It must still have good gas mileage, and It must still be dependable. I don't plan on Drag Racing at the strip and all that... I plan to drive this car every day and take some road trips in it.

Klyph... I got up early this morning and read your entire thread cover to cover... Dude, your car is Bad Ass... You are truly the man. Im sorry to hear about all you are going through and having to deal with in the process, but in the end, It will make the end that much sweeter and you will appreciate what you have accomplished so much more. Because even in the face of adversity, you stuck it out, you kept your eye on the prize and kept moving forward toward your goals and achieved them anyway. Shit, I wish I would have been half as motivated as you are when I was age 22. Looking back it seems my main motivation back then was either trying to get high or get laid. LOL, What a moron I was... Oh and if you were to throw in -40 degrees... PSHH... Forget it! I wouldnt have accomplished a damn thing. It will all work out for you though man. Stick with it. If theres anything I can do for you let me know. Ill try to help any way I can from half way round the planet (Tennessee). Anyway... How is the house hunt coming? any progress on your car?

Last edited:
Don't wanna threadjack, but the house is close to being closed on, and I'm close to having the wiring sorted on the car. Thanks for the kind words.
Any updates on your car?

Nothin Yet.. Still rounding up parts. I talked to a friend at lunch today who has a stock GSR intake. I might get it from him just because its cheap. I still think I might get the blox intake though you can find em on ebay for like 150 or so.

BTW... Can anyone tell me if these are in fact GSR cams?

cams.jpg

When I bought my head they were out of it so I kinda felt suspicious.

Back