Maaco Paint Service - Impressions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kriz

So I decided to fork up the $1000 to repaint my car at the nearest Maaco being as they do offer a 5 year warranty on their premium paint service and are a somewhat reputable company. Anywho, I went to pick up the Accord today to find that the worst dent on the passenger door had not been fixed but merely painted over and there were tons, I mean tons of bubbles everywhere. They even lost the Honda & Accord emblems. The paint looks delicious but this was definitely a huge letdown, needless to say they are redoing the work on the passenger door and buffing out the entire car then redoing the clear coat to get rid of all the bubbles. Still, that's one more day without my daily driver :mad:

Maaco is a quick spray service that turnes multi-colored rust bucket beaters into single colored rust bucket beaters. nothing more.

If you want a good paint job, go to a reputable paint shop and get it done. Sure its $2000ish, but you just blew $1000 on nothing.

it's about patience my friend. they GUARANTEE their work. if you get bad service from them, take it to another maaco. Do NOT drive it off the lot without getting something you are 100% happy with.

i had a car painted there instead of taking it to a professional shop. I have seen cars from said shop in super street magazine and HIN show winners. After I had my car painted at maaco for $900, I drove to the shop to get some parts. The shop owner, who is an acquaintance of mine told me that my maaco paint job was great and would have cost $2500 or more to do, had his shop done the work.

moral of the story. be patient and inspect over and over again. they WILL do it right.

also, a high end shop will keep your car for 7-10 days. and if maaco never gives you quality that you expect, do not pay them. simple as that.

and every maaco is different.
very true. except the fact that they guarantee their work. if one shop does poorly, take it to another shop. if you want to pay little and have high quality, you MUST be patient and be willing to put in the time and make the calls. it wont come easy, but what is your time and money worth?

or you could pay civicous to do it. he's a great paint guy. lol

Maaco is a quick spray service that turnes multi-colored rust bucket beaters into single colored rust bucket beaters. nothing more.

If you want a good paint job, go to a reputable paint shop and get it done. Sure its $2000ish, but you just blew $1000 on nothing.

I disagree, the paint looks just as good if not better than it did right off the factory. The dents they did fix, what dents? Its like there wasn't any to begin with. Sure there's some bubbling, they'll buff that off and if its not seamless they'll try again.

it's about patience my friend. they GUARANTEE their work. if you get bad service from them, take it to another maaco. Do NOT drive it off the lot without getting something you are 100% happy with.

i had a car painted there instead of taking it to a professional shop. I have seen cars from said shop in super street magazine and HIN show winners. After I had my car painted at maaco for $900, I drove to the shop to get some parts. The shop owner, who is an acquaintance of mine told me that my maaco paint job was great and would have cost $2500 or more to do, had his shop done the work.

moral of the story. be patient and inspect over and over again. they WILL do it right.

also, a high end shop will keep your car for 7-10 days. and if maaco never gives you quality that you expect, do not pay them. simple as that.

Hence why I'm waiting on them to fix the dent and bubbling and then reinspecting the car myself, very minutely. I had this situation in the back of my mind the whole time after leaving the car at Maaco, never bothered me cause I'm very anal about my car and I know they will fix the car until I'm satisfied (otherwise they don't get any $$ from me...).

maaco can be good, do the prep work yourself and it will turn out better but then if you spend the time and effort to do that just paint it yourself or fork over the big bucks. i painted mine myself and it ended up ok. i just need to do tons of wetsanding and buffing still ugggh

^ I don't have the facility/materials and overall its just not worth my time...

Phyregod is right....you can get 'lucky' when you get what you pay for but when most decent shops charge you $2000+ to respray a car (no jams, etc) and this was half the price? You're lucky they stick behind it and are going to fix it.

i was quoted 1800 to paint my car a different color next month at a small shop..i hope itll turn out good :mellow:

Last edited:
I would never have a paint shop repaint a car a different color. the only time i would do that is if i'm doing a full restoration and pulling the engine, glass, and interior.

I would never have a paint shop repaint a car a different color. the only time i would do that is if i'm doing a full restoration and pulling the engine, glass, and interior.

my car needs it lol it was painted crappy yellow and had i fucked up body kit..im pretty much restoring the car i bought both oem bumpers and all the parts that go inside the bumpers like the beams cuz they were bent, the foam brakets clips, side moldings, side mirrors ect.. and im also going to get both small rear glass taken out and put new ones cuz of the plastic moldings are trash.. well any way everything except the engine is going to get taken out and i could live with that......all go no show baby lol

Phyregod is right....you can get 'lucky' when you get what you pay for but when most decent shops charge you $2000+ to respray a car (no jams, etc) and this was half the price? You're lucky they stick behind it and are going to fix it.

I still disagree... I got my car back yesterday, there are still just a few very minor details (there's two tiny bubbles on the rear bumper cause they didn't buff it and I didn't feel like dealing with it anymore, needed my car back), but aside from that the paint job is top notch. My car's hood is literally a mirror, and the difference is VERY noticeable. Car looks brand new and its not even clean (although they "washed" it at the shop, its still dirty). I can't wait to wax it! Sure, its not showroom quality, its also not $3k... Definitely worth it.

I shall post pics later on.

Why is that?

sweet! congrats.

I wouldn't have it painted a different color because i'm super anal. i would want the engine bay and jambs painted to match. plus i wouldnt want the plastic trim to get painted.

WOW, 1000.00! I had them paint my 90 hatch several years ago for 213.00 out the door, same red color, NO 'deep' sanding (just a scuff and shoot)of the little chips on the front of the hood.
I told the guy that I just wanted to make it look nice to sell. I even told him I didn't want a warrantee! 3-days later I picked it up and I was VERY supprised at the job. Nice, and NO overspray on trim/molding/tires. There was just one spot where it looked like the hose had bumped the wet paint but if you weren't looking you'd never see it.
5 years later i saw it and it still looked good. little dirty but nonetheless good.
When i did the 'walk a round' with the MGR, i explained what I wanted and we picked out all the little problems that would have cost more. He sure was trying to sell me on the Supreme job,(only 565.00) but I didn't want that. They are still offering that and the Top of the line job (Ambassador I think) can still be had for 500.00!!
I've even had some friends that told the person that was going to paint it (there's a 'present' in the trunk) for a good job.
The present was usually a case of beer or a 5th..
They have sales too. 500.00 job for 299.95!
I'm thinking of having my accord painted this fall
e

Back