1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAC issue: need to backup a MAC unattended

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by TurboMirage, Oct 15, 2010.

1. TurboMirage

TurboMirage Finally boostin'

so we need to get the data off this MAC computer at the office without the user knowing.

im thinking its not possible. the only way i can see it is if we go to their office and set their drives to share and pull the data that way..
  2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    thats how it is on widows, unless its attached to a domain and the user is not a domain admin.
  3. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    isnt stealing data, i dunno, illegal?
  4. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

Some jobs you sign a statement at log on that informs you there is no expecation of privacy. Work machines are used for work.

Could you do a "routine backup"?
  5. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you

enable ssh or "remote access" then add an account to it, login remotely, sudo to root, then copy data off to another machine.

Edit: if you have Apple Remote Desktop, it's a piece of cake.
  6. GSRCRXsi

Media:
    Albums:
    If that's the case you should just take the computer. No need to be secretive about it.
  7. TurboMirage

the solution was to go in over the weekend and just backup the machine to an external drive while the user was gone. took about 40 minutes.

its a corporate machine, and you sign a computer use policy, i'm the senior admin of IT.... i dont need permission :shrug:
  8. GSRCRXsi

Media:
    Albums:
    then just say "hey give me that i need to do updates"
  9. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

In our case unions and such are involved so general council provides guidance or our supers do as to how to handle the situation. Also their is a concern with chain of custody and such in case you find something criminal on the machine.
  10. TurboMirage

no unions, but its just not proper conduct to do that. we'd rather the users not know we are going to fire them.
  11. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator

Media:
    so... what would happen to you if say some of your superiors stumbled across this thread and saw that you were posting this info on a public domain that their employees could see and know that a potential firing and whatnot is going to happen?
  12. TurboMirage

its just not possible. unless someone were to forward the information directly.
  13. invisibledemon

Media:
    true, they are mac users, they probably dont even know how to search for things on their own. lol.
    1 person likes this.
  14. TurboMirage

15. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

Zing! Well played. Rep for you sir.
  16. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator

1 person likes this.
  17. invisibledemon

Media: