machine work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMFantasy2k

Well i went to a machine shop that my instructor recommended, said they do awesome work. They do a lot of hondas too which is also nice. Here's the prices he quoted me, wanted to see what you guys think. He said this is absolute maximum pricing depending on what needs to be done...

Block wash, bore + hone, cut deck (if needed) = $240
crank inspect + polish = #35
valve job, mill, and assemble with supplied parts= $220
balance (if requested) = $275

I plan on using SRP pistons and maybe eagle rods (or tuner toys rods), so i don't think i need the balancing, thought that stuff was mostly for domestics.

As for the valve train i'm going to get ITR valves and springs for the intake, and then swap my intake springs to the exhaust side, heard it makes for a nice combination. I'm keeping the stock cams beacuse the gen 2 are pretty aggressive and i don't feel like getting type r cams.

thoughts?

balancing is always recommended especially if they machine your crank. as for the type r valvetrain, never tried it, so i dont know what to tell ya.

maybe my prices are cheap but i got my block hot tanked, bored/honed/decked for like 100. maybe cause it was some shop in bumfuck WV? lol i dunno. they did great work though. everything was in spec. ring gaps were perfect, etc.

i also didnt just take them the block and told them to bore it over x amount. i gave them the pistons and gave them the piston to wall clearance. it might be better to do that. just a thought.

Quoted post[/post]]
maybe my prices are cheap but i got my block hot tanked, bored/honed/decked for like 100. maybe cause it was some shop in bumfuck WV? lol i dunno. they did great work though. everything was in spec. ring gaps were perfect, etc.

i also didnt just take them the block and told them to bore it over x amount. i gave them the pistons and gave them the piston to wall clearance. it might be better to do that. just a thought.

yeah i'm gonna have them match the pistons and all that jazz. The prices he quoted me are the absolute maximum too and he guaranteed they'd be cheaper. Think i might assemble the bottom end myself but i haven't decided (i'm an auto tech stutudent so i know how to do it just not sure if i want to) and i'll probably just have them do the valvetrain just so i don't accidentally fuck something up.

assembling the bottom end is simple. just check all your clearances before putting it all together. ring end gap, bearing clearances, etc.

yep. easy. remember to torque everything the right way, loosening and retorquing several times to work the lubricant into the metal, and preventing a false torque measurement.

Back